1st IT Interview Help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by andylad9, Jul 21, 2011.

1. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi

I've nearly completed my A+ (the A+ forum here have been brill). I've been luckily enough to get an initial interview for a Entry/Junior IT Support role.

However I've never had a proper IT role or interview before, I've got a audio visual background.

It would be most helpful if people could give suggestions on what to expect? What kind of questions would you ask a Junior/Entry level? What technical terms/aspects would you expect me to know (apart from the A+ content)? Any other tips advice would be great.

Thanks

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi

Me again I'm afraid.

I actually made it through the first interview and they called me back in for a second. This time with the boss again and now with his boss also.

So please if anyone has some great junior it technician interview questions, tips, terms or other aspect I should know and prepare...please please share.

I need all the help I can I can get..really want this job.

Thanks

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Don't know about questions, but just be honest and show them that you're eager to learn and do whatever it takes. An employer wants to higher someone they see potential in.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

As above
    Employers at the moment want the moon an a stick for not much money - so well done on getting this far!

Be honest. If you don't know say so. Be eager to learn - early mornings / late nights / weekend work - you are happy to do it! :)
    Get a rappor going with the interviewers. A good candidate is better than a brilliant one who will have difficulty integrating into a team.

Above all play to your strengths - what can your experience in AV bring to the job?
    There must be transferable skills e.g.
    accuracy
    communication
    teamworking

Whatever you do don't give any B.S. Somone looking for a helpdesk role in my team was asked "what do you know about windows XP" - answer "everything". He then got nailed on one hard question.

To be honest it sounds like you are doing a good job anyway!

Best of luck
    G

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  5. tech4life

tech4life Bit Poster

For a desktop support technician type of role I got asked questions on different things I have done practically and customer wise that has benefited me and others. Focusing on the "I" instead of we, my team, with others etc. If they are looking for a team player then focus more on projects you completed within a team environment and collaboration to solve problems.

Go over the job and person description (if they provided one) making sure you can answer each area with good understanding and knowledge, while always considering the customer/user.

Get a good nights sleep and just relax, be yourself. Companies do not want story telling, wide boys that can talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice.

Not long to go now...wish me luck....

7. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

that's great to hear Andy, weldone for getting this far.

So as a feedback what kind of questions did they ask ou for your 1st interview?

From my understanding just make sure you tell them you have excelletn customer service skill because at the end of the day thats what their looking for.

8. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I GOT THE JOB - ace !!

thanks for all the advice everyone...was much needed. the overall vibe for the interviews was to find someone who could learn, who can be taught the companies way of doing things and who would be a good match for the team. Technical skills hardly came into it.

so chufffed.

9. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Congrats dude!! ...its training time!! the company way...all the way :p

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  10. odeskproject

odeskproject New Member

Hello Every one. I am looking for some help for aptitude test online[/URL], i am going to appear in a test in NTS. That test will be online, and I want to prepare my self for this. I hope someone will help me out on this forum.70% test questions will be from computer relevant.