1st IT interview and it's a phone one

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by grizz3210, Oct 19, 2007.

1. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

Hi,

I'm after some advice - I work for a multinational food distribution company as a warehouse supervisor. Whilst looking for my first step into IT I've managed to get an interview with the IT dept. My problem is its my first IT interview, and its a telephone interview.

Has anyone got any advice/tips?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Be on time or slightly ahead of time. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just relax, try not to be nervous, take out your cv and be prepared to answer any technical questions they might ask. If you don't know something, just say you don't know. The interviewer wants you to be honest. Who knows, if all goes well you might be on your way to another interview in person.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, phone interviews have both advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that you don't have to dress up, fight traffic to get to the interview site, and you can have all of the papers, books, and other resources you think you'll need for the interview right in front of you.

The disadvantages are that you can't see the interviewers, judge their facial expressions and body language, have a look at the work conditions and any other visual cues that you help you figure out how you're doing in the interview and if the place seems like a good fit for you.

Usually a phone interview is just a first step. If they like you over the phone, they'll offer you a face-to-face interview and up the stakes a bit.

Advice? Try and keep relaxed. Be yourself. Don't try to fake your way through an answer you don't know and realize you can ask questions, too.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

hi guys
    thanks for the advice wish me luck as the phone interview is mon at 3pm.

6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

How did the interview go Grizz?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  7. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

sorry been really busy

the interview went well i thought (thanks for the advice guys),
    got a call back today asking me to go in for a face to face tomorrow at three so really happy :)

wish me luck

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

well done Grizz - best of luck and let us know how it goes :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

will do and thanks

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds good, best of luck mate :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

well i'm back from the interview think it went well
    and was told i was in the last two for the job so fingers crossed i should know tomorrow:sick

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Fingers crossed mate 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

hi guys
    still no news and i have a bad feeling about it :unsure

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

relax, no news is not neccesary bad news... they may have posted an acceptance letter...

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd give them a quick call, 2 weeks on is a long time to be waiting to hear back.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

still no news after them telling me that i would know by last fri.
    i think that they must of gave it to the other guy due to me having to ring up the help desk today and speaking to someone that i didn't know (probably the new guy). :cry:

i have got a question though, during the interview, they told me that there was only 5 people based on the helpdesk for 6000 users, not having worked on a helpdesk before is this the norm to have so few people working on the desk?

18. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

going to give it till thur for them to let me know if not i'll give them a call.

19. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

hi guys
    called them today and they were shocked that i didn't have a letter and tried to blame the hr dept :dry.
    the long and short of it was i didn't get the job, never mind back to looking for a job then:(.

20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Don't worry we've all been there at some point in our first quest and job search for a break into IT. I'd say keep studying, be focused and keep searching your break would definitely come. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell