1st interview help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but due to the pressure in the post world over christmas I haven't really had time, hope you all had a nice Christmas! :D
    Ok so I got a phone call on monday from an agency who put my CV forward for a job in december, she told me that the company want to call me in for an interview, job title: software support analysist.
    I asked to see the job spec again and she sent it to me (although she said from your CV you have the basic skills, full training is provided, they are really looking for the right kind of person to fit in with the company).
    Starting salary is 14-16k, I really want to nail this so could anyone give me some top advice on wowing them in the hot room as I haven't had a 'real interview' since university,

Thanks alot guys

Danny :D

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!:alc

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We *do* have a pinned thread right here in the "Jobs" forum called Interview Preparation. Work your way through that and see if it helps. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

*Be yourself.
    *Try and swat up a bit on the company - not just on their website, but hunt around elsewhere. If you ask questions about things that people on the panel don't know about, it looks like you have done your homework.
    * Go through the job description and make sure you are happy how to complete certain tasks. If not, research them, or ask here.
    * If Software/Procedures are listed, then research them and drop the odd clue in to the conversation that you have done so, and possible know more than the next sitting.
    * Tell them about CF! Employeers prefer people who are interested in their job, opposed to people who can do it, but can't really be bothered.

Oh, and good luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

thanks guys,

Some good advice here, Im quite confident, although this job is not exactly what I wanted to do, It is very interesting and I feel something I could really enjoy, its also with out a doubt a step in the right direction and onto the IT ladder, alot more rewarding than posting letters!! :D

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good luck with the interview, let us know how you get on.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

Ok had the interview on friday and I think the actual interview went as well as it could have done.
    I was 10 mins early, I was wearing a great suit, and had an answer for every question he threw at me.
    He asked all the standard stuff, strength weaknesses, what can I offer, why do I want to work here, why am I leaving my current job etc. Will say though really glad I done my research on the company, he was well impressed with that, even at the end when they ask if you have any questions I had loads due to the fact I done my research.
    Wasn't expecting an aptitude test as soon as I walked in the door, it really threw me and as this was the first interview Ive had in years I thought it was game over, I could've done better if I was expecting it but don't think I done too badly, at least if I don't get this job I will be really prepared for the next interview. I can honestly say that I actually enjoyed the interview, I thought it was fun to talk myself up, I was almost convincing myself!! :D
    The guy before me was wearing trainers and a t-shirt (my agency told me the company didn't like that) and the guy after me was half an hour late, I hope they were all this bad I might have a chance of getting the job!! Ill let you all know as soon as I find out!