1st day at new job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noelg24, Oct 16, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

and I am settling in very well...:biggrin...I spent most of the day getting to know the staff, and sat down with a couple of people one of whom I will be working alongside. and just having a look at the things I will be dealing with. I have to say I think this is it for me. This is exactly what I have been wanting since I started learning about PCs 9yrs ago.

It will take me sometime to get used to the whole thing, but knowing me I will and should be able to pick things up very quickly.

So just wanted to give u all a heads up. Whats even better is that we have unrestricted access to download whatever we want...:twisted: but no I wont be abusing it like that, just doing me usual visits when I was at Apple and that, but blimey I was also told our connection to the internet is a whopping 20Meg :eek:, altho other parts of the building are using 100Meg but they are sharing that with some of the customers we are supporting.

But all in all not a bad day. Tomorrow the stuff begins. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good stuff! Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first day, and as you said, the second is where the fun begins!

Did you look around the datacentre up stairs? Man that thing is impressive! :eek:

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Mate I wish I could live in there...all those servers and cables...hehe..a Techie's dream I tell ya...I even spent a bit of time with the lads who deal with the installation and onsite stuff...one of them was sorting out this WYSE box. He had set the res up too high for a 19" LCD, so he had to change the display to a 17" CRT and reduce it to the size the LCD wanted (1280x1024 60Hz) and it was working fine after that. But it was a joy to watch them faff about tho.

Man the IT sector is certainly where I belong...:biggrin

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Noel,

Glad your first day went well. Good luck for the future. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hopefully you will still be saying that in 5 years. :)

GL with the job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good mate, best of luck with the new job :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nice one mate! But i missed your move! What happened with apple? PM me and let me know what you into now.... all the best and dont forget time to get some certs in the belt now that you getting that work experience!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good news that you are enjoying your new working environment!

Did you make the tea?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

haha...u know its funny mention tea, because they did say if u drink tea or coffee its required to make others theirs too. Lucky for me I hate coffee and I dont drink tea anymore. :biggrin

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's just my tip of the day - How to win friends and influence people, make the tea. It worked on me when I was a busy manager :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Noel. No coffee or tea? Guess that just leaves... :biggrin

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I dont need to make tea or coffee to influence people or make friends...hehe...I use my wit and erm...charm on the women...hehe...:twisted: Hey Thanks Trip that should do nicely 8)

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nice one, what wyse box was it, I dealt with wyse thin clients all the time at my last job :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hope its going well for ya. I noticed ya live in Newcastle, and ya have no certs yet. Just wondering how you went about getting hold of a job without them? As im at the same stage as you. Also wondering if ya going down to the Birmingham do?

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The Xmas do I wont be able to make mate, sorry. But as for the certs. Yes i dont have any but I am still experienced with computers. 9yrs to be exact. This is my first "IT" job as such. The reason they gave me the job without certs is cos I told them this is what I have been wanting to do and I am planning on getting me certs done asap (hopefull New year at the latest). And I said I will be playing about with Server 2003 and SBS and have a muck about using both Virtual PC and VMWare...so its all good. And besides I been at Apple for 18mths so that kinda helped too :D...but I tell u what mate if you want...since we both live in Newcastle (and a certain Mr Graham might like this) perhaps we can all meet up one time for a lil knees up...what do you say boys? :biggrin

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Erm good question I honestly now dont know...hehe...but it was using WYSE Winterm...dont know if that helps...

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Newcastle? Beer? 15mins on the train? Beer? Beer? BEER?

:hhhmmm Now let me think.........:biggrin

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

yes it does, used a variety at my last job, the only problem is they would randomly reset themselves to factory defaults, possibly due to fluctuations in the power to the building.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Come on Si...dont be shy now....beer...and perhaps some footy too...might be able to wrangle some "entertainment" bars while we are at it...:twisted:

20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well im a bit skint at the moment, but saying as ya mentioned beer, il scrape some money from somewhere lol

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house