1700 series good for CCNA?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Oct 23, 2008.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Is a 1700 series router any good for CCNA? I heard you can load 12.4 onto some of them thats about it! Anyone know anything else? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

I managed to land a 1700 with a 4 port switch in the back, that gave me 5 ethernet interfaces to play with. I found that invaluable as I couldn't get my hands on something like a 2600 at the time (got two now)

Other than that It wasn't anything special as a router

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so then its not much use? :rolleyes:

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zim,

Can't send you a link as I cannot get to e-bay in work, but if you do a search for IRP70 on e-bay, there is a seller who sells refurbed kit with the Cert's in mind.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I actually just logged on to post a similar question, so I hope you don't mind if I partially hijack your thread Zimbo

I've managed to blag some old kit from work with a view to putting together a CCNA lab. So far I have:

2 x 1721 Routers
    1 x 2900 Switch (8 Port - very old!)
    1 x PIX 515
    1 x PIX 515E

I know the PIX's won't be of use for this but I guess it won't hurt to have them around - do you guys think the rest of the kit enough to do some hands on lab work relative to the CCNA exam?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Boyce thanks for the heads up! I decided not to go that route because most of the times you get stuff which is outdated so far i have a 2620 running 12.4 with a WIC-1T and a 2900xl 24 port both together have cost me £50 with P&P so its been a bargin hunt! Console cable was £2 - i guess you just need to be patient and know what to look for!

Anyone know if those 1700 are good?

7. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

What are you looking for in a router? I like the 1700's because they're smaller than 2600's, and also do not have fans in them, so don't make any noise, which is useful if you're going to use it as an internet gateway.

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

for studying purposes during the CCNA. 8)

9. ASRsystems Andrew

ASRsystems Andrew New Member

Hi all

I have purchased quite a few Cisco routers and switches from IRP70 via ebay and am happy with the guys service. 100% positive on 6000+ items cant be bad :p

I would recommend the 2610 router wise, and 2950 (although pricier than the old 2900 they are miles better)

Certifications: CCIE
    WIP: CCVP
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

I've used the Cisco 1721 routers in my CCNP: Building Scalable Internetworks v5.0 course in the Cisco Networking Academy, so it should be good enough for CCNA certification studies. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Guys would you think 2 x 1721 routers and 1 x 2900 switch would be enough to get by?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP