10Mb on its way!!!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Aug 11, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok for those on NTL you will know this already. But for those on Telewest (myself included) I have just learned that they will be upgrading our 2Mb connection to a whopping yes.....10Mb!!!! the upgrade will start from around next month and plan to have them all done by early next year....BRING IT ON!!!!! cant flamin wait now...now we're moving onto the big stuff people...what do the rest of you think?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm on NTL, but I'm not changing. I'm on Their 300k package and they have offered me the 2mb for no extra cost but I turned it down because they limit your monthly usage.

Besides 300k more than does the job for me, if I want to download anything I'll do it at work where I have a 100mb link!

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Lucky you :D
    I am with Plusnet and should really be on a 2MB connection but my line isn't good enough. :oops:
    Still, 1MB is a a lot better than dial up :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well with Telewest there are no restrictions whatsoever, no capping limit, no contention ratio its just absolutely mint...I just cant wait...oh it will be downloads galore baby...yeah :D

5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Somehow get the feeling that capping will come into place eventually either that or there network will die as everyone will go download crazy at speeds like that :dry

Sorry to be a downer :blink

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hey Simon

I'm with NTL as well and changed to the 2MB service a couple of months ago. When I was checking it all out a cap was one of the things I was concerned with. Not that I download a lot, I just didn't want to be held back with a limit. As far as I could see their limit was something in the region of 1GB per day. I d/l the Fedora Core 4 dvd image (approx 2GB) with no problems.

edit: just checked the NTL web site and it does state a 30GB per month limit. I can live with that :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Here's the LINK on the NTL site.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

To all those fans of <ahem> "sharing files" techniques - do remember that your upload will still be 256, regardless of download (they are not upping this) so your dreams of download utopia by this means may be misguided.

FYI. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Seen this in the Daily Record regarding NTL

NTL are to offer their broadband customers a 10MB connection as standard.

The upgrade to their network is due to be completed by the end of 2006.

Customers currently signed up for the 3MB service will be the first to try out the new high-speed service.

As part of the upgrade, usage limit will increase from 30GB to 75GB.

NTL are trying out 20MB broadband in Chorleywood, Hertfordshire, and reckon their network could support speeds of between 30-50MB

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you aint a drowner my friend but we Telewest customers wont be capped as told by Telewest themselves

"There have been a few ISPs making a fuss about 2Mb services recently, but that often represents the maximum speed they can offer at the moment. We're making 2Mb our minimum speed and we'll also be offering a choice of affordable 4Mb and 10Mb services for more demanding internet users.

What's more, our customers will be able to make full use of this extra bandwidth because we won't be introducing caps and all the new speeds will be available across the network. With blueyonder services you actually get what you pay for."

Eric Tveter, president and chief operating officer of Telewest Broadband

so there you have it from the horses mouth as they say. ah life doesnt get better than this. and all for a nice princely sum of £35 a month which is what I am paying now for the 2Mb so deffo value for money if you ask me...and Jak they will increase the upload speed but only by a tad to I think it was 386Kbps...still not a big increase but they are working on it...so u never know...:D