10 Questions Never to Ask in Job Interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jan 19, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I saw this little article at Yahoo! and thought it would be a nice addition to our collection. Avoiding these 10 questions when you're interviewing for a job will save you the "bum's rush" out the door:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-experts-10_questions_never_to_ask_in_job_interviews-82

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from number 10, where notice periods in the UK can be anywhere from a week to 3 months :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Three months? :eek:

4. Kitkatninja

Yeah, one of the jobs I went for (Director of IT Services) wanted 3 months notice and practically wanted me to "live" there (Monday - Saturday, plus on-call in the evenings, etc...)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Standard notice period for staff in the UK is 1 month. That tends to increase with length of service up to about 3 months.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One company I used to work for got so fed up with the staff turnover they instituted a 6 month 'lock in' in the contract. Fortunately for me, this was after I had left. But my contract had a 3 month clause.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Wow! 2 weeks is standard in the US. My contract with the folks that placed me at HP had a 4 week notice clause in the contract. I called them and reminded them that I wouldn't have been able to go to work for them so quickly if I had been locked into my prior contract for 4 weeks. They allowed me to change it to a 2 week notice. Good thing for my current employer. :wink:

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yep 4 weeks is bog standard here unless you are still within your probationary period, but as has been said before sometimes the notice period goes up the longer you are at a place (for the places I've worked for its 5 years service puts it up to 3 months notice).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

True, 2 weeks is standard, but I gave a month's notice to my last employer... not because they asked me to, but because they'd have been in a real bind if I had given only 2 weeks notice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They've missed off:

11. Are those tits real?

Might seem obvious to some, but it's worth being extra careful.
    Sometimes you just get carried away.

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. fuzzmo

fuzzmo New Member

Standard for the UK is four weeks. However all depends on your contract - with mine it was 4 weeks, but then 5 weeks at 5 years service, then 6 after 6 years etc. My friend recently had her contract changed to 3 months notice! She hasn't quite got round to signing it so I don't know where she stands but she is finding that it is putting people off when she is looking for a job....

Certifications: BSc., MCP: 270, 290, 291; ITIL V3
    WIP: MCSA
  12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What exactly would happen if you just decided to think "4 weeks notice ? naah" just quit and start the next day in your new job ? any legal consequences ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Especially if he (the interviewer) looks stronger than you lol :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  14. Kitkatninja

The company can hold your final salary and depending on the company, may take legal action (after all you've signed a contract).

-Ken

15. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

And you can pretty much forget about that reference. Don't forget, a lot of job offers are subject to satisfactory references.

Certifications: HND Computing
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dunno how it is over there, but over here, the IT professional community is pretty tightly knit. Burn a bridge, and it could very well come back to haunt you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Would a company really go through the hassle and expense of going to course over leaving early ? What judge is even going to allow that in his court ?

Suppose you just do not give that company as a reference ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  18. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

You are still going to have to explain why you aren't getting a reference from the last company you worked at - which likely to be the most relevant.

Even if you have to grit your teeth in your last few weeks at a company, its best to be on their good side.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  19. Kitkatninja

Like I said, it depends what kind of company & what the company does. After all it's a breach of Contract. It's a two way street, you give them the notice period and it should work the other way, (unless a gross misconduct happens) if they are going to let you go, they'll give you notice period.

-ken

20. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

It looks more than a bit odd if you don't have someone from your last company as a reference. That said, there can be genuine reasons not to. In any case, its not good to burn bridges where possible.

Certifications: HND Computing