1 year into first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ranaldbaird, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ranaldbaird

ranaldbaird New Member

I've now been working in my first job in IT for just over a year. I was taken on as a trainee on a pretty low wage as I had no experience and had a lot to learn. For the first 2 months I was working for one of our companies bigger clients on the helpdesk just doing very basic stuff (password resets, AD administration etc). I then moved to another client (an Oil company) on a permanent basis in a much smaller IT team where I was the sole helpdesk person answering all the calls and logging all the emails. On top of this, I do all the IT equipment purchasing, do a lot of desktop support work helping out with the Windows 7 roll-out and Exchange 2010 migration that has been going on and generally getting involved with everything going on from Networking to Infrastructure work.

Put simply, I feel that although I still have a lot to learn, I do more work than anyone else on the team, know how to do my job and feel I should no longer be considered a trainee. I also have passed the 70-680 exam studied in my own time and well on my way to taking the 70-685.

Today I received an email advising that they are bringing someone new in who will be taking over the helpdesk and I will be moving up to desktop support in January. Because of this, my employers have decided to give me a rise in pay grade but only up to Grade E1 (I won't go into figures but all Grade E is Trainee Grade with E1 being the highest). IT works out at about a 10% pay rise. Now I know that these just getting a pay rise at all is good but I feel it is unfair that I am still being classed as a trainee. Am I being unreasonable?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Do you have anything in your contract as to how and when you finish your traineeship?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. ranaldbaird

ranaldbaird New Member

Unfortunately not, I was assured when I started that my pay would be reviewed regularly but nothing in writing. And it has but it's just the grade that I'm a bit disappointed at as well as the fact there was no discussion about it. I was expecting my pay to be reviewed in my yearly appraisal which has been delayed till January and there would be an opportunity to discuss it but I just got an email out of the blue.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

How did you land a trainee role at 26? And don't sweat it. At least you're gaining invaluable experience. You can use it once your traineeship has finished and move on to bigger and better things.

WIP: A+