1 PC Windows XP, 1 Server Debian AMD-64 Version 4 Etch, 2 Laptops Vista!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi lads,

Iv got a question as the title says i have the following:1 PC Windows XP, 1 Server Debian AMD-64 Version 4 Etch, 2 Laptops Vista!

The debian pc is currently the server hosting a web server, im just playing around with it and learning. I was wandering if i could do something like this: make 1 folder on the debian or the XP machine and allow all the other cmoputers in the network access to it. The 2 pc's are cable networked and the 2 laptops are wireless!

Thanks!

2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Yes.

Google 'samba.'

The folder could be on any of the machines, but if you are already using the linux machine as a webserver, it probably makes most sense to put it there. Etch is an excellent file server, but setting it up can be a little tricky if you've never done it before.

You are about to enter the wonderful world of unix 'permissions' ....:twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree. Samba is the way to go.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

And what about the window ones? I dont want to install it on my debian box as i constantly format that, due to me playing around on it ALOT! So i prefer to put it on my XP box instead, now how would i connect the 2 windows and the linux to the xp box?

5. hbroomhall

Oh! How to make life difficult! Normaly Samba would be on the debian box!

Yes - this still would work. You still need to install Samba on Debian, but you don't need the file-server bit.

Harry.

6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

If you are re-formatting for linux installs, it is worth setting up different physical partitions, in particular a '/home' partition.

That way, if you want to change the distribution, you can delete or reformat the '/' partition but leave the '/home' partition intact, so that your personal files are never lost.

Even if the files are on the Windows machine, you will still use samba to access them from Etch. And you will still have the fun of learning your way around unix permissions... :dry

If your question is even more basic, i.e. how do I share files between just Windows machines, you'd better make that clear, as the advice you are given will be different.

For Windows, there are issues to do with each machine being in the same workgroup; and each machine usually needs to have on it user permmissions that correspond to the username on the other machines from which you will access it. Each account must have a valid password (Windows doesn't like null passwords). Each folder you want to share must be designated for sharing, and there are two ways of doing this: one for Simple File Sharing, where it is accessed from a guest account (but I'm not sure if this will allow access from the linux box - anybody?) -the other way is to set up full NTFS permissions to determine who has the rights to access the folders concerned (which certainly will work from the linux box).

I've only done it with Win2k and XP, not sure if it's any different with Vista but there are plenty of experts on this forum who can fill in the gaps I've left.

Have fun....

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Right ok this is what i want exactly, for now lets get the linux box out of the way and concentrate on the XP and the 2 Vista's. I want them to be able to do this with the XP being the host:

Be able to add users and remove users on all 3 machines and give the permissions, would i need Active Directory for that?

For the two laptops to be able to see a folder but they cannot add/delete/modify files in anyway just transfer from it.

For all three to be able to share a printer so they wouldnt have to keep coming to the XP box to print.

Thats what i want to do for now at first, would i need to create a workgroup? how would i go about doing something like this any books or tutorials out there?

Thank you!

8. hbroomhall

XP Home or Pro?

I take it that you want to do this remotely? Otherwise just go to each machine and do it!

Set the folder read only.
    Put the printer on the XP machine and share it. Then add a network printer to the two laptops.

Except for managing users remotely this can all be done with a workgroup. If you need to manage remotely then you need a domain. If this is the case then the version of XP and Vista becomes important.

Harry.

9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

thanks alot will do that next time!!

10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Thanks i will do that im running XP home! I dont need to manage any of them remotley. Is there a tutorial outhere which explains the step by step of setting up the network?

11. hbroomhall

With XP home forget setting up a domain.

I have to say that with XP most of these operations are easy!

To set a folder read only right click the folder and select "sharing and security". Under networking sharing and secirity share the folder, but don't allow others to change things.

Harry.

12. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Thank you harry! So far iv linked one of the vista laptops :)!! im off to work now, so ill try and do the other one after work if iv got time thanks again everyone.