0870 phone numbers

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by AJ, Jan 15, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

AJ's Public Information Service.

How many times a day do you pick up the phone and dial the number without thinking how much is this call and who's paying for it.

The latest "rip-off" is 0870 numbers. Ok they have been out for a while, but have you realy thought about them. As the "telephone bloke" at work I noticed that there was a lot of these 0870 numbers called and they where really expensive. So AJ on the war path to find out more.

The 0870 number is classed as a non-geographical number. This mean that it will not come under any free time you may have with your telecoms supplier, and they cost a damn site more, somewhere in the region of 6-7p a min. So only 7p a min then, no add VAT onto that. You dial and get the famous automated lady who ask you to press 1 for something, 2 for something else and at some point press 9 to talk to a real person, you then go onto hold. So far you've been calling for a couple of mins @ 7p/min and your on hold STILL paying.How many times have you been on hold for 10 mins and had your call finished by the person at the other end in a couple of seconds. Thats nearly 15 mins on the phone costing you just over a £1 + VAT.

At work I totalled the cost of these calls that had been made and then worked out the cost of them using our normal local/national rates we pay (thank goodness for excel). The difference was a staggering £100 a month.

You know what the real rip-off is, the person you are calling is geting a "kick-back" for having you call this number and at peak times that can be over 3p/min. Hang on, you are calling them on your phone and along the line PAYING them for it. Now that is a "rip-off".

What is even worse is to call an 0871 number coz they cost 10p/min or more. [​IMG]

All these "non-geographic" numbers are, are forwards to the normal geographic number of the company you are dialing (numbers beginning with 01 or 02). So why not dial that number instead and just pay the local/national call rate, which is a damn site cheaper than 0870/1 numbers.

How can you stop this rip-off? Look in the phone book if the company is local, look at BT's Directory Enquiries page here, it's a free service, or even better check out www.saynoto0870.com

This again is a free service where you can find alternative numbers to 0870 and call the "normal" phone number. It's very good and it works.

Anyway enough of my ranting and drivel. this public service was brought to you for no charge by me [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What do you mean 'no charge' AJ? It just cost me 4p to read.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good information there, AJ - thanks for bringing that to light. Another thing to think about is that when you call the actual premium rate numbers (eg 0905/6, etc), the person answering is obliged to announce the call charge (eg 75p/min, etc) whereas for the 0870/1 numbers, there is NO obligation to do this - even thought they may actually fixed-rate charges.

Hmmm, more rip-off's all round then, eh ? :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Actually I would disagree with u there...I worked for BT Broadband and our number was 0870 and we always had to tell customers that the call was being charged at national rate unless of course your calling from a mobile...the amount would vary from 3p/min to 8p/min depending on the time of day...and for someone who used to make loads of phone calls himself I should know as I always read my itemised bill to calculate exactly how much I was paying for such calls. Of course I guess what you're talking about is people who have set up 0870 numbers in connection with their own home number so when someone does call them they end up paying more than they should, that I would agree with you but in terms of the real cost of 0870 calls they are not as expensive as people think...look at 0845 numbers...now those are charged at local rate...imagine that eh?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My bad, Noel - didn't realise that was the case in some instances, but I'm fairly sure it's not obligatory to announce the charge at the start of the call, like premium no's. Sounds like you were simply opting to be up front to the callers - not every outfit is as open.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AJ

I suppose I should have mentioned that in my rant that some 0870 call are as Noelg24 said. However the majority are as in my post. As far as I'm aware there is no obligation for the person owning the 0870 number to disclose the cost of the call never mind the profit they make from the call. As far as I'm concerned I will always, if possible check out the normal number, so that I do not inadvertantly start to run up a big phone bill and line someone elses pockets.Check out the web site I posted www.saynoto0870.com

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

to be fair AJ, i work for an 09 number (thats £1 per minute) and I certainly dont get a kick-back. its highly unlikely that the person at the other end of the phone will get anything. i barely make much more than minimum wage! they COMPANY might make money off of it, but not the person!

Fergal

EDIT: and i certainly dont know about 0870 and a legal requirement to state the cost, but i certainly know that we are legally required! that said, ure mainly talking about 0870, not 09 numbers!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

In all fairness Ferg i think we all know AJ meant the company your calling not the actual person that picks up the phone
    we all know that the people on the end of the phone dont get squat usually

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Fergal1982

You'd be surprised Phoenix. I'll admit that everyone *here* will know, but it seems most people who phone us are convinced that its ME getting the money. they whinge about how all im doing is keeping them on the phone to make more money. or demand to know why ive made it so expensive (and seem surprised when i tell them that i have no control over the cost!). lol.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

heh, i guess its because we have all BEEN at the other end of the phone before :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. AJ

I see what your saying Fergal, but as far as the cost's go 09 numbers are premium rate and the owner of the number gets the money off it as well as the share for BT. As 09 numbers have to say how much the call will cost, 0870 numbers do not, however there is a standard charge for them unless the owner of the number decides otherwise. But this charge, as far as I'm aware, does not have to be advertised and neither does the "kick-back" to the owner.

12. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

The company I work for also runs a telecoms company which targets businesses. There is no requirement to state at the begining of the call the charges for an 0870 number as they are always advertised as being a national rate call and yes, the companies that we issue these numbers receive an amount from people calling them (usually around 1p a minute). They are usually used for specific purposes such as being able to monitor the effectiveness of an ad campaign as well as generating a small amount of income.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  13. Fergal1982

brains.......... brains.......... spam..... brains......

14. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i have used this service a lot of tie as i really get wound up with having to pay someone to tell them that the service i pay for is not working or doing what it should be doing. I first used it last year when i bough a laptop from acer who inturn messed me around, after constantly telling them that they hadnt delivered my laptop yet again, nor had they phoned me to tell me that it wasnt even coming.

I honestly think that the government should take the lead here and close them lines down, as the charges a very unfair, especially in the time were going through at the moment.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  15. AJ

Blimey this is an old thread, forgot all about this one

Anyway there is an update on this as Ofcom has made some changes

0870 changes