£$"£%$^ Washing Machine

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phil, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Anybody here know how to repair a washing machine? mine has retired and doesn't want to spin anymore :cry: . I've whipped the brushes out of the motor and the carbons look kind of low, problem is I don't know what I'm looking at really or know where to get new ones.

I should have just rung a repair place but thought it was probably only the belt so I went ahead and whipped the top off.... it aint the belt. :hammert

So this being the fount of all knowledge I thought I'd ask you guys....... :iluvcf

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For Goodness sake, Phil,

We all had you down as an IT guru :roll: This is clearly a Virtual Memory prob.

You need to Right-click My Computer, Properties/Advanced/ Perfomance Options, and re-set your available virtual memory (Page File)

If that's not the answer, a liberal dose of 3-in-1 around the gas mains sprocket (around the Registry by-pass overflow) should do the trick !!!

HTH
    P.S You never mentioned if you were Electrolux or Indesit.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Get a new one.

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Looks like your asking the wrong crowd Phil!! :lolbang

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Oh well, it was worth asking :smile-l . Flex, a new one really isn't an option at the moment. :apl

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

OK, I've fixed a few washing machines in my time, actually i have just fitted new 'main drum bearings' to mine, does the machine turn at all phil? If so does it make any noise (other than the normal operating noise's)?.

Bushes are available from any good electrical appliance shop, the small one man operations are usually cheapest, usually cost only a couple of quid depending on age make and model of the machine.

Answer the above questions and i will have a little more of a think

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Cheers Nelix :)

The machine quite happily goes through it's cycle, filling with water, draining etc, etc. It just refuses to spin, I thought it was the belt at first but that is fine. The drum spins freely and the belt is tight enough to spin the drum if moved. Looking at the carbons, one is just under 1cm long when pulled out of the bush, the other just over 1cm. I don't know if they are too worn or not, if not it must be something more serious I suppose.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Aw jeez, here we go - a White Goods Forums !!!

What ever next :what?
    :P

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Great idea Gav! you volunteering to mod it then? :tongue

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Only if I can interest you in this no-quibble Extended Warranty, valid for any CertForums product purchased from this store 8)

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Cool! does that mean I get to give you twice the money for twice the greif when it goes wrong?

:yep

12. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Does it have a manual programmer knob or is it a electronic display? (Seriously!!!)

It could be the contacts on a manual programmer…if it is you will need to replace the whole unit.

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

From what you tell me it's not the carbon bushes as the machine works fine during the rest of the cycle, more than likely the above problem or the controler unit has gone

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

GOSH

and I thought that there was only computer wizards out their.

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Just reading over this one again, Phil.

Bearing in mind Alistair Campbell's recent departure from Government, the declaration by our Beloved Leader that there would be no more spin, then the almost immediate resumption of said Black Art within New Labour, perhaps all you need to do is ignore the machine for a week or so, then all should be back to normal .....

Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of satire around here
    :P

16. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:lol: Gav, I'm not sure about my washing machines political affiliations so I'm not sure this would work. So I went ahead, got some carbon bushes to see if that would cure it and hey presto, I also have a new sideline now, in washing machine repair :D problem is it's now spinning away and leaking to the press all sorts of nasty rumours about my smalls.... a week is a long time in politics.

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

:smile-l Nice one, Phil.

Now all you need is for CompTIA to introduce a Washing-Machine + qual, and your the man :P