Zone Alarm butting in..

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Missy, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Hi
    Last week I asked you all about fitting another firewall as I have AVG and Adware which seemed to be working ok, I took your advice and got the 'Free' Zone Alarm, to be honest I am glad I didn't pay for it and that it only run 's for a trial period,It keeps stopping me connecting to the internet and other sites, so I shut it down, I think I'll look for another firewall.
    I think it's a good idea to go for the free trial first, that way you can see how it works with your computer, as they are all different.
    Thanks to Trip
    Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Missy,

When those little windows pop up ZoneAlarm is asking you whether or not you want to give that program access to the internet. That's a good thing, and it is behavior by design. You just need to tell it to allow programs like your browser and your email programs.

You don't want a firewall that allows just anything to access the internet.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Freddy. I found it annoying at first but it can also protect you. Sometimes a virus will plant a piece of software on your system that attempts to access the Internet and your firewall can prevent it.

It can be confusing which programs to let access the Internet and which to prevent...especially since some of the program names aren't very clear cut. Feel free to post any of the names of programs you aren't sure you want to reach the Internet and we'll be happy to help you with them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Missy,

why dont u try Sygate personal. Its free iv used it for ages. Less problematic than ZA. www.sygate.com
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884