Zimbo's Next Job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Jul 6, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Right im totally freaked out after Ludym's post and d's comments. I think i better ask you guys - mainly in the UK and everywhere else too!
    Whats my next role looking to be?

I thought i was looking to slip back into 1st line support for a bit more longer after i graduate in a few years but it looks like i maybe a little wrong. Here is a little of my background and info about me. Ill have a degree in Computer Networking from Middlesex Uni. Im looking in CCNA at the uni in my 2nd/3rd year. Ill have already an in-house A+, MCDST and hopefully MCSA. I have 3 months "trainee" experience and 10 months full on 1st line support and a little System admin of Server 2003.

What should i be looking at in the future because im just blown away now? :oops: :oops:

Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

ho, slow down, i think you're reading too much into things at the other thread.

still, i don't quite follow your question. shouldn't your certification path follow your career plans, instead of the other way around? it kinda sounds like you're doing a bunch of certs, but you're not quite sure what job goes with them. so what's your next role looking to be? well, the one you strive and study for.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That depends on where you heart is!

Do you like investigating the problems and then relaying the answer to people face to face or would you prefer to work behind the lines?

What gave you the inspiration to go into IT in the first place?
    Maybe you are looking too far into the future????

UCM 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

System Admin d but i just got the step now... now i know what i want to do but what i thought is 13 months in 1st line isnt enough for me to take my *next step* up on the ladder? I was under the impression ill need to spend more time in 1st line i.e. Junior Role?

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well said!

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

well, your career evolvement, and your experience, and your certs, usually go hand in hand. and you often cannot dictate the jobs that are available to you. it's no easy picking. each persons career is different, but there are often times that you feel you are stuck at a certain level, just as much as there are times you feel things are going too fast and you're thrown into situations you feel you can't handle yet.
    i think the fact that luddym got rejected and was deemed overqualified got you spooked a little, but that doesn't mean that it will happen to you. you'll find that you are rarely labeled overqualified. believe it or not, but many companies require mcse/ccna as a minimum for a pure help desk phone support job. (hope that doesn't spook you as well...)

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Maybe so,
    but IT is such an fast pace environment.

Sorry Zimbo I can't help thinking your under selling yourself!

You've got so much experience and knowledge in the IT field!

The things you've achieved through CF and other forums should be qualification in it's self!

UCM 8)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no that doesnt spook me at all! Thats what i thought the market was looking for but like you say every job will be different and how we go about it is different. Just knowing MCSE/CCNA are often required then they say you over qualifed and only 2 MCP's is a little shocking...

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

probably the people never quite understood what a MCP was? They might know its a MS Cert Professional, not realise the difference.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

that could also be true... :biggrin

11. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

maybe they knew full well, but with n+ and 70-290 (essentially a server cert) already under his belt (and more on the way), they could have thought luddym wouldn't stay long in what is basically a junior position. they probably prefer some stability for a job that already has a high turnover to begin with.

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...and maybe we will never know :biggrin

13. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

definitely maybe