Zimbo's 291 Thread

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Jan 8, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yeah im disappearing for a few weeks - i need to! I got this exam to do and i need to do it! So excuse me if i dont make much of an appearance over the next few weeks! :(

Onto some better news... im threading a thread where ill post all my problems for the next few weeks to do with 291, i hope you all visit it regularly - to help me out and to learn cause if you taking 291 soon this thread will help. Im thanking everyone in advance for your help and i hope you guys can help me pull through this beast!

Cheers guys! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right we know the Active directory namespace and DNS namespace overlap right?

Now im trying to understand the terms sub domain and child domain... if i have it correct - a child domain is a "branch" of subdomain?

accounts.contoso.local - being the sub-domain
    income.accounts.contoso.local - being the child domain

is it just terminalogy? :blink

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Zim,

The sub domains start from the root of the full domain name.

For example www.contoso.com starts from a . (dot) at the end of .com and works back from there.

So in order it it...

. (root domain)
    com
    contoso

Also you might see http://mail.contonso.com as a URL so this would be referred to as the mail sub domain of the contoso domain as apposed to the www sub domain. It is handy to know this terminology when you are working with DNS as you would probably want the www sub domain to point at your web server and the mail sub-domain to point at the Exchange server.

In regard to a child domain you just have to make sure it is in the same contiguous namespace as the parent domain name. So if the parent domain is contoso.local then accounts.contoso.local would be fine.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sparks could you try explain that in a different way please mate? :(

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...except www isn't a domain or subdomain - it's a computer in the domain. Anything to the right of that computer name are subdomains, the domain, and the top-level domain (.com, .net, etc.)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Mike could you have a go please? :biggrin

7. Sparky

www is a computer? :blink

I was under the impression when you buy a domain (lets say contoso.com) the you can have sub domains such as www, mail, webmail, crm etc etc.

Therefore the domain you have is contoso.com and some of the subdomains you can add could be...

https://www.contoso.com
    http://mail.contoso.com
    http://webmail.contoso.com
    http://crm.contoso.com

8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

As I see it it's a bit like UNC but backwards.

i.e. \\sillyserv\share works forwards, like the way a sentence is written (in the western way anyhow).

The domain starts with a . which is the root, but because all domains (I hope, shoot me guys) start with it we leave it out.

So, we have .com.micro$oft.www

So it's 'backwards'.

If we didn't do it that way we'd be in all sorts of sh*t to differentiate between LANS and WANS.

Wotja fink y'all, am I anywhere near? :eek:

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  9. BosonMichael

Yes, it is. WWW defaults to the default Web server for the domain. Mail.contoso.com indicates the server named mail on the contoso.com domain. Webmail indicates the server named webmail on the contoso.com domain. Same with crm.contoso.com. Those aren't subdomains. Those are server names or aliases for servers.

Yes, you can have subdomains. For instance, you could have mail.east.contoso.com. Mail would be the server name on the east.contoso.com domain, and east is a subdomain (or child domain) of contoso.com.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

Yep, it's just terminology. I've heard subdomain and child domain used interchangeably.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Unless you are in *nix, where the
    unc would display filesystem/whatever/whatever

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so they are the same thing? :biggrin

13. BosonMichael

From what I've studied, yes. Someone else might have a different opinion.

But does it matter what they call them? Don't get overly bogged down in the terminology. You understand the concept, right? :)

EDIT: From Webopedia:

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so far so good mike! Thanks for clearing it up....

pretty chuffed with todays covering! :thumbleft

15. BosonMichael

Glad to be of assistance, my friend. :)

16. Sparky

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

UPDATE:

No date set as yet.. but im hoping to make it happen end of January... still sweating it out here... Been getting help from all sorts of people.. just thought i would make a forum wide appeal! How do you study and pass a monster like this??? Also anything specific you want to add about 291 that might help.. all with in legal grounds of course! :biggrin

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just keep doing what your doing but whilst you are doing that, remember this is one of the most interesting studying times you are going to be faced with. Sure, there is a lot of new stuff to jam into your noggin but that stuff is gold, so just enjoy the ride and be done with it. Book the exam once you feel nearly ready, that will give your the motivation to really get stuck in, so that you can slay the beast.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Sparky

Have you finished all the chapters in the MS Press book? If you add WSUS to that (depending on what version of the book you have) then you should be ready to go. It is a challenging exam but its good feeling when you pass! :biggrin

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sparks its one thing reading and another 100% understanding info.. im spending time reading Server 2003 inside out as well.. the problem with this exam is that there have been too many new concepts.. in particular the last chapters on security policies... but like you guys said im going to have to take this exam soon.. if i fail ill have to get back onto the bull and try again! :biggrin