Zenos

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Sneaky, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky New Member

Hey I was reading an old thread (2008 I think) about Zenos, but I thought i'd start a new topic as that's like 2 years ago. Zenos is a company that is funded by the government to do Modern Apprenticeships, and claim you can recieve A+, MCDST, a level 3 NVQ and something else that escapes me. I have recently started at a Zenos academy and my first impressions of the company have been poor. Most of the people on the Apprenticeship are 16-18 and I think I am the oldest there (23) which is a bit demoralising. Mainly because they are all so immature and really grind my gears :biggrin, they ask ridiculous questions and the trainers seem to accept any bull**** they shout at them. Granted I only attended one day and have took two days off 'sick', but still the first day was 8 hours of pure sitting in a seat listening to 'professionals' chat **** about IT and show us **** powerpoint presentations. The were constantly reminding us of the fast cars, fast women and mansions we could be if we continued on the course and advance up the IT ladder etc. It's 9-5 monday to friday and the vendor certifications (A+, MCDST) don't run until the last 2 months of the course (the course being 5 months long). Also I don't recieve any money for the first 6 weeks which isn't good enough considering i've got a girlfriend and a flat to pay for. I've found out that the days I haven't been in they had another full day of presentations, then today they were learning 'the basics of word':blink
    I really feel like the whole thing is beneath me as I worked as a Web Designer for the Ministry of Defence a few years back BUT; (and this is what I need advice on) My parents, especially my dad are really excited about me doing the apprenticeship as it's free and he wants me to work in IT. I have been unemployed for over a year since I left University in my second year, I just did drugs and partied - slight regret.

I'm babbling a bit now, so yeah my question is should I try and see it out even though I feel an overwhelming sense of dread/cringe the night before i'm supposed to attend? I'm seriously considering just teaching myself using books and do the exams? How would I go about doing that? Any advice would be appreciated I've been racking my brains for a fair few hours now, thanks in advance.

2. Sneaky

Sneaky New Member

I've decided to study from home upon discovering Prometric and the advice on this forum. Really happy now can't wait to ring up and tell them I quit :D

3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Do you really want to work in IT? and by that I mean do you really want it bad enough?

To be blunt you have Quit university and are now quitting this course so there is a track record that some employers may frown upon, and also hopefully your not still on drugs or going out too much (though most people need a drink now and again lol), not a great start, but the main issue is that you need to make a decision of what you really want to do in life and stick it through.

Youre still only 23 so have many years to settle down, but IT is a career that requires self sacrifice and hours locked in your room studying to progress you up the ladder, and if you dont want it 100% then this will only lead to unhappyness in the long run.

Your parents cannot run your life for you, you have to be your own person so dont just work in IT because your dad wants you too (as a profession we need people who are 100% into IT).

Otherwise welcome to the board and you are in a great place for advice

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

If you truly believe that IT is the right career for you then go for it, if not, work out what you want to do and do it. Theres nothing worse than finding yourself in a career you hate because you weren't willing to make your own decisions.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The course is free, stick with it. Not sure if it's the same scheme, but when I looked into their apprenticeship scheme last year for one of tech's, it was a little more than that. It was the NVQ2 & 3, plus a C&G's diploma. Forget about the other students there, you're not there to impress them or even to make friends. You're there to gain a recognised qualification and to enhance your job prospects.

To tell the truth, webdesign vs support - they are two different fields. If I moved to a different field (eg programming) from support, I would be the entry level person regardless of what position I worked at or where I worked at.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

To be honest, that there is what's worrying me. You should have major regrets and be trying to turn your life around, you're not and not really showing any signs of regret at all, to all intents and purposes you're a quitter and if things don't go your way you will quit again.

Until you change the way you look at life you may as well carry on sponging off the rest of us.

Getting a career (whether IT or not) is not all about partying and doing drugs, it's about self sacrifice and taking the good with the bad.

Either get over yourself and buck up or just walk away from IT.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

It is such a shame you quit.

My experience of Zenos was brilliant i got the following certs:

IC3 (certiport) - its like the EDCL
    NVQ level 3 in IT
    Advanced Diploma for IT Professionals (very useful!)
    A+
    Network +
    MCDST
    Key skills level 2 in Application on Number and Communication
    and MCSA (after leaving the academy and studying on my own - they paid for the exams and courses!)

An MCT of all but the 1st 2 weeks! Who i still keep in contact with and owe him for his belief in me

Yes i understand what you mean with the people there, it was exactly the same for me. I was 18 at the time and was one of the oldest students, just ignor them and let them get on with whatever, just think what you are going to get out of it!

I left the academy 2 years ago and I have just got a promotion (yesterday actually) from an Apprentice to a full enginer!

The best part of zenos ITs FREE you won't get that anywhere else!

Hands up anyone who would of gave anything for free training including materials and exam fees!? - i know i wouldnt of thrown it away!

Any other questions let me know and i'll gladly answer them!

P.S. Nice to see you base your decision after half an hour of original post, allowing time for other members to respond!:dry

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  8. Sneaky

Sneaky New Member

The main thing that was annoying me was the fact that I had to be in 9-5 everyday without any pay. I've got rent and bills to pay it's not like i'm living with my parents like most of the kids there. Anyway i've gotta interview for a call centre job, i'm just gonna work while I learn at my own pace at home. I can completely see where people are coming from it is a good opportunity but I really don't think it's right for me.

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Zenos never hear if them, are you sure its a proper apprenticeship?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

its a 5-month Intensive course followed further study whilst in work

so for me i did my inital 5 months, got a job and continued studying with Zenos.

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that explanation

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sneaky, I'm a bit confused about your predicament.

You say that you have bills to pay and would be better off working. Probably true. Does that mean that you have a job, or one is available to you? If that's the case I'm not sure why you're doing an apprenticeship.

If, however, you haven't got a job on the cards then anything you can do to bump up your prospects, especially if it's free. Although if it's a full time course it may have an impact on any benefits you may be entitled to. So even if it sucks, it's something to do and something to put on your CV.

If you're not that bothered about getting into IT then you need to think about what it is that you do want.
    If you're tempted by the riches and glamour of IT then I'd also think again, especially using an apprenticeship as a stepping stone. Zeb and Pheonix both drive Maseratis, but nobody else here does.

So, as I say, I'm confused. This apprenticeship is either completely what you should be doing right now, or it's the last thing you should consider. How confused is that? :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

http://www.zenos.com/casestudies.html

Quite impressed with the guy who's 20 and is managing 14 academies in the north for Zenos. All in all, it seems like a petty good deal. Although, seeing so many people in suits that do not fit correctly makes me cringe... :biggrin At the same time, could they have picked people any more uncomfortable visibly at being on camera, so it seems like they are real pupils which is good to see.

It seems like a pretty good thing to do. I like it.

Thanks for reminding us of our IT inflicted poverty :( lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Not sure about Pheo, but i think Zeb has a Nissan Micra. Just being pedantic. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

He just wrote Maserati on it in black marker to make it UBER COOL! :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh yeah. I was forgetting that traffic in Croydon was a bitch...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. j33rablade

j33rablade Bit Poster

My question is this... Had this been available when we all started our first steps in IT woudl we have taken it?
    That sounds like a joke of a question... i know i would have given my right arm for even just an MCDST and COMPTIA within 5 months and for free.... I wish I could swap places with you. You don't know how lucky you are till... grass is never greener.....

Certifications: CCNA MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me? No, but that was due to my situation. If circumstances were different, then maybe "yes".

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  19. Col

Col Byte Poster

Have to say that it sounds like the sort of chance I'd give my right arm for. The others are right, you should sit down and have a good hard look at what it is exactly that you want to do and if the answer does indeed turn out to be IT then it would definitely be worth buckling down for the next few months and making the most of it.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... because I would have done my research ahead of time and discovered the complaints.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!