zenos academy

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Nov 6, 2009.

1. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

i find it a bit disheartening when trying to break in to the i.t world and yet the sun newspaper is teaming up with microsoft and zenos to give i.t apprenticeships for younger people who are not working and give them a career path into i.t. . don,t get me wrong , good luck to them but when you are aged 45 and working full time on shifts in a production environment and finding it very difficult to get that first break it does make you wonder !!

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I guess the assumption is you had extra chances when you were 16-25 also ? The labour market was supposed to be booming in the 70's.

The reality seems to me to be that you really need to grab the bull by the horns early on, after 40 retraining for a career everyone else wants will probably be tough. It also could mean to employers you possibly avoided a career in IT for 20+ years, which doesn't show much interest.

In a buyers market employers can afford to be very picky, hence the job adverts with skills lists as long as your arm for megre salaries. If they have the choice of 100's candidates for an entry level position with training, I'd expect them to recruit the young also. Yes it is ageist, ageism does exist in the market.

Youth unemployment is the highest of all apparently, many of these youngsters have worked hard in education for 16+ years only to find they can't get a job. The government said about the scheme that they didn't want to write off a generation.

Where I do agree with you is that the apprenticeships should be on merit, and should be open to people who are not registered unemployed, maybe wih a percentage reserved for registered unemployed. I also think the 6 month unemployed before subsidised training rule needs looking at, maybe allow those who have made significant NI contributions in the past to get it earlier.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

I shall just say, Muhahaha. :rolleyes:

*Runs back to Zenos to finish his MCDST*

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?