Zbrush3 licensing error

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I've just installed ZBrush3 from Pixologic on some PCs in one of our IT rooms. All are running XP Pro and PCs are less than 6 months old. Core 2 Duo processors, 2GB ram and 80GB HDs.

We have two licensed copies and when you run Zbrush as a user who is a member of the Domain Admins group everything works fine. But when you try to run it as a staff or pupil user I get the message

LICENSING ERROR: Unknown return_code (FALSE_AF_VK_ACCESS_DENIED). Please contact Pixologic. Shutting down.

And then I am diverted promptly to the Support page in Pixologics website.

I have given Domain Users modify permissions to the Pixologic folder within Program Files and in particular the file zactivator.dll or something very similar.

The fact that the program runs for admin users but not non-admin users suggests to me a permissions issue somewhere.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

how are staff and pupil profiles applied? Are they local?

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Letmegooglethatforyou

First two options on the list seem to indicate that the app needs to be run as administrator. They pertain directly to Vista, but its the same error so a very good chance that the same applies on xp.

Elevate one of the users to a local admin on the machine and see what happens.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

There is a possibility that when the app was installed, some license information may be contained in the profile of the user that installed it. Therefore, logging on with another user, ZBrush would not be able to find that information.

I have found that with a couple of apps that i have installed at work.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

As far as profiles are concerned, both pupils and staff have their own respective mandatory profile. Could be a problem with access to the local copy of the profile when a user logs on?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Try creating a test account that uses a local profile and see if it works.

7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Problem solved. The data generated when the software is activated is stored in the Shared Documents folder in the All Users local profile.

By giving domain users modify rights to that folder allows non admin user accounts to access those files and Zbrush then runs normally.

Thanks for assistance those who replied.