Your Virtual Lab Hardware/Software Setup

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Jock_McTartan, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Jock_McTartan

Jock_McTartan Bit Poster

Hi

Interested to see the hardware and software setup that people are using for their virtual labs.

Here's the setup I use atm:

P4 Prescott 3Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    320 Gb HDD for images
    Win XP Pro Host (although use OpenSuse ocasionally :))
    VMWare Player (and starting to use VirtualBox)

Got another similar spec PC that I can bring online if I needed to expand the size of the lab dramatically but I have as per the attachment atm and it runs sweet - I tend to assign the recommended RAM to the VM for install then drop it once complete - they don't tend to get hammered so causes no issues :)

Anyone else got a good setup?

Attached Files:

WIP: 70-270, Linux+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

At the moment I'm concentraing on my MCDST and one of the objectives was discussing a RIS setup and unattended install - something I was going to set up in VMware. I decide against it as it appear more fully in 70-270 exams, which I shall be looking at at a later date, but I'm very interested in what you're doing so far...

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Mine's quite simple at the minute.

1 X MacBook 1.83GHz, 1.25Gb Ram (soon to go to 2GB), OS X 10.4, VMWare Fusion

1 X XP VM which lives on the desktop, I use this for any Windows things that I have to do.

My other VM's live on a portable Firewire disk:

1 X Windows 2000 Server DC
    1 X Windows 2008 Server Member
    1 X Windows 2008 Server DC - Different domain
    1 X Windows 2000 Client
    1 X Windows XP Client
    1 X Windows Vista Business Client

I tend not to do that much with them these days' although I do plan on testing a trust relationship between the domains. It's been a while since I setup a domain trust.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Err my set ups a bit OTT

Core Virtualisation Lab
    2x Servers running ESX 3.5 Beta, 4GB Ram each connected to iSCSI storage network
    Dual core processors, Gigabit network front and back end, 20GB Local storage
    1x Windows Server 2003 with Datacore SANMelody iSCSI Target software
    5+ TB Storage, 1.5TB Allocated for iSCSI, 1TB allocated to Images/ISOs

Quick and Easy Desktop Lab
    My main workstation, Quad Core 2.4 C2D, 4GB Memory, Vista x64 running VMWare Workstation 6
    1TB Local storage

Mobile Lab
    Macbook, C2D, 1GB Ram (getting an upgrade to 2 or 4 next week, it SO needs it hehe) running VMWare Fusion, 2x portable 120GB WD Passports for VMs/Images/ISOs

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

At the moment I have the following setup as VM's. They are all on a seperate hard drive not my main one.

1 X Windows Server 2003 Ent running as AD/DC
    1 X Windows XP Professional as the client
    1 X Windows Vista Ultimate as a client
    1 X Ubuntu Linux
    1 X Smoothwall (I am trying to get this thing figured)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Err... My setup at the moment is U (under) TT. I've just got Office SharePoint Server 2007 running on a Windows Server 2003 VM. If I need to connect to SharePoint from a client computer, I just do so from the host (Windows XP Pro). Simple, but it fulfills my book writing needs at the moment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm definitely shamed then.... 2 VM boxes both running XP Pro.....on a Seperon 3200 with 1.5gb RAM - same machine as I'm typing this on.

...will wait until work chucks out some P4 2.8GHz machines before I build any further :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I bought a new machine three weeks ago to start up on my training again.

Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz
    4GB Ram
    2X 500GB SATA
    512MB Nvidia
    VMWare Workstation 6

I run a mainly MS products and have around 13 virtual machines, not all running at once thought :-)

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Top set up John :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

It's been a pleasure training with it so far. Before I was running an AMD 1.7Ghz with 1.5GB Ram and whilst it was enough to run a few machines at the same time [slowly] I really wanted to build a larger training lab. I couldn't be bothered building it myself so I looked around for the best deals and ended up paying £840 including an ASUS 22" Black Flat Panel.

On the plus side it's also the only PC I've ever been able to successfully install Linux on, works a treat!

I think it's about tme I went fr the full MCSE, lol

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have a dell poweredge 2500 with dual CPU 1.0Ghz, 3.5GB of RAM running Windows Server 2003 standard edition and VMWare Server.

Virtual images:

Windows server enterprise edition, AD domain controller, am also in the process of installing Vista business edition as a second vitual client as well as SuSe Linux when I have time.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell