1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your View on the EC-Council Courses

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Xinapse, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Xinapse

Xinapse Bit Poster

Are they recognised by employers? For those of you that have taken them, are they good exams, easy / hard?

http://www.eccouncil.org/

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

They're pants. Utterly useless to your career as decent employers don't recognise them at a higher level (i.e. for pen-testing/security admin jobs) because they teach you nothing of value, and are scared of them at a lower level (i.e. sysadmin) because the sort of pillock interviewing you for those roles thinks you're some kind of uber-hax0r because you have a cert that says 'hacker' on it.

I did the CEH about four years ago now - the exam was mega long, poorly worded and asked the same questions about port scanning, enumeration and footprinting about 50 times in differewnt ways. Seriously - you'll learn more with a backtrack CD and some of the free Offensive Security workshops available online.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. pete.grant

pete.grant Byte Poster

Agreed! The Offensive Security PWB course looks very good - I think a couple of people on here have done it but not sure.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician, CCENT, CEH, CPTS, CIW Security Analyst, ITIL v3 Foundation, Master CIW Administrator, MCITP (Windows Server 2008:SA), MCSA on Windows Server 2008, MCSA:Security on Windows Server 2003, MCTS (70-648, 70-652), Network+, SCNS, Security+, Server+
  4. Xinapse

Xinapse Bit Poster

Really that bad? Also i couldnt find any free OffSec workshops only the paid ones, you got any links?

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Damn - they might not be free any more. They used to have freebie 'introductory' workshops, but I haven't even looked at them for about three years, so you may be out of luck.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em