Your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 19, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As most of you know I do not work in a job where it would be considered an IT job, however at the moment I seem to be getting more & more technical opportunities such as configuring and setting up the new servers.

Setting up these servers and configuring the software and applying the configs to the publications I produce is going to take a few months and whilst I am working along side the IT engineer and other people I am learning a lot.

After the configuring etc is done I will have more responsibility on tracking performance, optimizing and even more configuring if/when we get more work which will also give me more experience.

I am on a good wage and am set to go even futher (I know money isn't everything) but what I want you thoughts on is: I am currently saving money so I can move away to an area where there is more IT jobs around as there is nothing up here and I know I will have to take a really big pay cut. Do I carry on with the saving and moving away plan? or do I stick it out here where I am getting more & more experience and knowledge and I know my salary can only go up?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Both have their benefits but I'd advise not viewing it as white and black as that. The knowledge you're gaining at the moment is bound to be very valuable to you and will help you become more attractive to potential employers through your CV, assist with exam prep etc etc.

If you're really serious about moving from where you are at the moment then I'd do some proper research into the possible areas you'd wish to go and also bear in mind all of the other things that come with it. (Whilst you're looking you're still in your current job and are therefore still expanding your knowledge which is always a good thing.) For instance everyone knows that London based I.T jobs lend themselves to a higher salary but... well it's London - more expensive shops, rent and all of that malarky.

Best way to do it would be to do some across the board type of research, look into the following areas (you may not think it matters but it may):-

Possible living accomodation - Prices, Location, Distance from centre of city (higher likeliness of jobs here)

Average I.T salaries in the area - You can use sites such as IT Jobs Watch (http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk) as a rough base - you can even specify regions which is nice, but also do research on Monster.co.uk, check recruitment agencies etc for a more accurate reflection.

Additional thoughts such as - distance away from family and friends and whether you'd miss it or not etc.

Obviously you'll need to sort out a job before you move (if that's your aim) but just be totally sure that you know what you're getting yourself into and don't put all your eggs in one basket. You're not in any urgent, immediate rush so just go through it logically and sensibly and you'll be fine. You're trying to progress and that's awesome so as my final point - stay positive.

Hope this helps matey and all the very best with your job hunting :)

Let us know how it goes. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, I just happen to have my crystal ball handy and now let me see...Hmmm. An image is forming.

Sorry. Just a joke, but to illustrate a point. It's almost impossible to predict what the future will hold and, as far as I know, you have no alternative job offer as yet (and I'd recommend *not* moving to a new area unless you have a job already lined up). That means:

1. You have a job right now.
    2. You are learning IT related information, even though you don't "work in IT".
    3. You are saving money.

It seems almost universal that when people make a job transition from whatever they're doing into an entry-level IT position, they take a significant pay cut. That's good for you to realize and it's good for you to save up money to prepare for that eventuality.

If you are determined to move to another area where IT jobs are more plentiful (and where most likely, competition for those jobs will be equally as plentiful), keep on doing what you're doing at your current job while continuing to apply for out-of-area IT jobs.

When I was planning on moving from Southern California to Boise 15 years ago, I visited the Boise area and "interviewed" at the places I wanted to work. They were informational interviews. I made appointments with the relevant managers and in the interview, told them of my plans to move to the area and asked what I would need to do to line up an appropriate job before moving. I got a great deal of good advice and direction and began implementing "the plan" as soon as I got back home.

Note that at no time did I move to Boise *before receiving and accepting a job offer*. Actually, I was offered two jobs virtually at the same time and had to make a selection. I took a huge cut in pay to move here and it was a terrific adjustment culturally and socially (yes, different parts of the US are vastly different from one another).

That said, our own esteemed Phoenix moved to the US from the UK with no job lined up at all and he hasn't starved to death yet. Still, there's a larger risk in moving with no job and just hope in your pocket than there is with a job in hand.

That's the best advice I can give. Let's see what the others have to say.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think you have to move in order to find a job... I think you will need to move in order to work at a job. The distinction is this: I don't think you should save up money, leave your job and move, then look for an IT job... I think you should stay where you are until you find a proper IT job elsewhere, and THEN move to that location. That way, you don't have to worry about not having a job for a time, AND you're not geographically limited to where you can find a job - you can go ANYWHERE a job turns up!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee

Cheers, I always thought about moving back to Leeds as I know the area well and can get accomodation there but at the moment I don't want to move away from my family as my Mother isn't in the best of health and I would like to be around for her if possible.

Obviously I would get a job sorted before moving anywhere and I would make sure I had some money behind me too.

It's a bit like being stuck between a rock & a hard place because I am going to learn more and possibly get a more technical role and my wages will go up. Or my wages will plumet, I wont have much money and I need to find a company that will let me develop and expand, as I don't particularly want to be on a help desk for years. I'd rather some sort of hands on job.

6. greenbrucelee

I do not have any money behind me though, it would be a bit foolhardy to move away with no backup, obviously I would get a job first before moving away.

7. greenbrucelee

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a good idea to write off to various companies and see if I can get somesort informal interviews lined up. I think I will do that :)

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question - at least in the short term. There's nothing wrong with looking into the possibility of other jobs elsewhere whilst staying where you are and learning more and more.

From a personal stand-point I'm still on a helpdesk role and I'm pretty ok with it at the moment. Sure it's not the greatest of jobs in the world, and by no means is it a job I wish to stay in for the rest of my life but I'm learning and getting qualified.

By doing these two things I'm gaining experience, certifications and knowledge and combined with keeping my thumb in with regards to knowing what IT jobs are available in the West Midlands area then I'm happy that I'm keeping my options open in the best way I can.

I'll keep looking and when the next step comes along I'll be as set up as I can be - that's the plan. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. greenbrucelee

I just wanted somesort of assurance sometimes I can be a bit indisicive :blink

If I had the money behind me and was offered a help desk role I would take it but I am more interested in the hands on stuff so I would like to get a field service tech sort of role.

I'll check back later or tommorow, I have to build two service cabinets now and hopefully not slit my wrists in the process like I did a while ago. Then I have to put in some switches. Although I am not sure I will be able to move the cabinet on my own :blink must eat some spinach :D

10. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you are really getting some good IT experience in your current job. I would keep doing that, but also keep saving, keep your options open. Be a little proactive in looking for other full time IT jobs, see what comes your way. No need to close any doors when you have yourself in a good position, stay or move, take it as it comes. Just keep saving so you can go with moving if a great job comes up in another town.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't mean to criticise, my friend, but what have you been doing these months, if you're not saving money behind you? :blink Get cracking! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

:rolleyes:

Stay where you are then :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Honestly GBL, if it were me I would stay. It seems like they're trusting you with some IT projects which is great in my opinion. It's how it all starts, with little jobs here and there then it gets bigger and bigger, It's how I started.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. greenbrucelee

Thats what I am hoping will happen to me, but I'll keep my options open as NW said :D

I wont be writing any CVs any time soon my hand is still bleeding from that bloody rack :(

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's the thing, right now you have a good thing going, you're getting the experience, pay is better then what it could be and you seem to enjoy doing it, which is the reason why I would stay.

You know when I first started 2 years ago I was doing the very basic things for troubleshooting pc's, now 2 years later and I am working with servers and troubleshooting has increased in complexity, I am trusted with more complicated things, I am probably doing a network assistant type job right now and at times it's hard but that's how we learn.

With the experience you're getting now you may very well obtain a higher end IT job as your first official IT job because you have experience and knowledge. Keep it up.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. greenbrucelee

cheers for the advice :)

17. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Gotta agree with some of the others.

You stated a long time ago that you really wanted a job in IT. Well, regardless of your job-title, you are now working in IT. You may not be the network administrator yet, but you are now more involved and more trusted with the equipment at work than you were before, and who knows what the future may bring. It doesn't happen overnight. The experience and exposure to the technology that you accumulate here can be documented and will count as IT related experience in your employment history.

You may or may not be drawing scale for an IT Technician, I don't know, but you have said yourself that you are making a good wage. A move at this point could be a disaster. Relocating cost money. Not to mention any time lost from work to find a new job and living accommodations. Then if you happen to take a job for less pay, you get hit even harder. Also consider that any seniority you have gained at your present position will be lost, and an employee that has moved from one job to another is far less attractive to an employer than one that stays with a position over an extended period of time.

Unless you're simply tired of working where you're at or living where you are, my suggestion would be much like the others. Stay where you are, utilize your current seniority and gain what knowledge and experience you can. But if you're considering a change, keep your eyes open, and keep saving. Should an opportunity arise in the future that's just too attractive to pass up, it'll be nice to have a little nest egg put aside in case you consider a move.

Best of Luck,
    Bill

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you’ve already made your decision, but I’ll give an opinion anyway. I think BrotherBill covered my main point. It’s not your title that defines you as an IT person, it’s your responsibilities; and from the sounds of it you are doing IT related work.

If you’re learning new things (which it sounds like you are) and are having fun I’d stay for the short-term at least. At least this way you’ll build your resume for future opportunities.

19. greenbrucelee

Cheers Bill, good advice as usual.

20. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate, I think I will do just that.