Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theprof, May 16, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been having intermittent issues with my personal computer for the last month or so... When using my browser simultaneously with iTunes, the browser would crash, or when playing wow and having my browser or itunes, or wmp open, wow or the other apps would crash... and now it got to a point where if I have that combination open the OS blue-screen's.

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition but before that I had windows 7 Ultimate x86... I've swapped out hard drives, ran memtest for 2 hours, etc... nothing changed and issues were happening when I had the 32 bit OS as well.

one thing to note, is that around the same time that the pc started crashing, my psu started making this high pitched noise and it will only stop if I literally turn off the psu.

I am thinking that this is happening most likely do to the PSU, since having multiple applications open, the I/O, video rendering, etc... increases and taxes the psu more. I read that it could be leaked capacitors, etc on the psu but I haven't taken a look yet.

I am pretty positive that at this point it's the PSU causing this issue but I wanted to get your opinion on what it might be as maybe I've missed something.

Thanks!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If your PSU is squealing, it's a fair bet that your PSU is the problem. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As Michael said, I would guess that if you ran a power meter over the PSU you would find that the rails are all over the place.

Replace it ASAP if I were you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

agreed a squealing psu could be leading to capacitor damage which isn't a good thing and it's even worse if the psu is crap brand as they tend to take other things with them when they die.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys! much appreciated as always... but the issue at was overheating!! touched the heatsink and burnt myself! anyways I cleaned away all the dust, reapplied the thermal paste and all started working again!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Whilst the heatsync was hot to touch the PSU should not be making funny sounds, if you don't replace it now it will fail at some point in the not too distant future.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Oh I know, I agree with you guys, I am picking one up tomorrow.

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A named brand decent one? otherwise its good money after bad remember!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'll be going in a few hours to pick up the psu... any recommendations as to what I should get? I am looking to get something between 500-600W. I don't have much in the tower... just 2 hard drives and 1 DVD burner the rest of the necessities such as video card, cpu, ram etc...

Specs:

AMD Athlon x64 6000+
    5GB of Corsair XMS2 800mhz memory
    2 x 500gb WD Caviar drives
    1 x BenQ DVD burner
    1 X ATI Radeon X1950XT
    M2N4-SLI motherboard

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Corsair and Seasonic are both good, I tend to go for Corsairs out of habit now.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got an Enermax Liberty 500W that works like a champ. I would also recommend Seasonic. Antec had some bad batches four of five years ago... hopefully they've worked out their problems sufficiently. Haven't heard much about Corsair's offerings, but all I've heard has been positive. With all those choices, there's no reason to go with any other companies.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The one rule to follow is if it says 'rosewill' on the box you should run, very fast.

There is the potential for the supply to explode even though its sat in a box, on a shelf a fair distance from the nearest socket.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Seasonic make corsair power sypplies but corsair are cheaper. Both are excellent.

Nope still happening unfortunately, they keep changing suppliers to save costs I heard that that they even used HEC for parts and HEC power supplies suck.

Agreed, there is only one power supply worse than rosewill and that's huntkey. Their PSUs do explode whenb pushed anywhere near their claimed limit and I have even read about hardware review sites being offered free advertising and funding in return for favorable reviews of their PSUs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?