Your experiences of working for a bad employer?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Have you ever worked for a bad employer? I currently work in a non-IT role, and I honestly believe my employer must be the worst in the country! All staff are unhappy they treat staff like bodies simply there to fill a slot

In two years of employment with them I havent been able to get holiday when I need it nor my full holiday allowance. They bombared you with calls on your days off and make you do ridiculous training days. They push you to work till youre on the floor and give you so much to do yet pay you minimum wage.

Their staff turnover is ridiculously high the average time a person stays with them is 2 months. I really want to email the director and give him a lesson in basic business in regards to treating staff better will result in employee retention and more work being done. They must waste so much money on training staff who only leave shortly after. Im now at the point I do the bare minimum, and only do overtime if it benefits me, I wont do them any favours atall..

I cant wait to leave, Im going to stick it out till the end of this year as the hours I do are convinient for me as I can fit college etc around it. Anyway rant over I feel better, would like to hear of your trials and tribulations.

Juniorrr likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sorry to hear that mate, you're best leaving when you get the opportunity / finish college etc. I wouldn't send that email the big boss as you may need a reference. You don't want to be in aushus's shoes worrying about what your previous employer will tell your prospective new employer....

I'm fortunate enough to not have worked for a bad employer, I'm sure your next one will be a lot better

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would strongly advise against doing anything that can harm your career short or long term, yes it may feel like it's the right thing to do but I learnt long ago that this industry is far too small to make enemies, especially so short in to your career.

To make you understand how small it is, I caught one of the occasional posters here out after he was discussing something and realised that we both worked at the same company, I went up to him and it surprised the hell out of him when I mentioned about him posting here.

I have also bumped in to people in jobs years after we previously worked at another company together, just because you leave a company doesn't mean that you won't ever bump in to someone again and the last thing you want to do is piss off the senior management team, those people who have the power to keep or fire you at some future point in your career.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. sahmed

sahmed Bit Poster

I agree with SimonD here. Spot on ! Speaking from experience, I've actually bumped into my previous boss on more than one occasion. If you feel you have the right I would seek out legal advice first.

Right now, my empoyer has hired some new guys and they need training which will cost them money. I never received anything and I get paid less then them. So I know how you feel. The managers try to look down on me and on top they want me to show them the ropes even though they have been here for a while.

You will find something better. Keep strong.

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

As luck would have it, my old boss added me on LinkedIn just yesterday. I always maintained a good relationship when we worked together. Oddly he seems to be living his career backwards :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I live by the simple rule, treat others as you want to be treated and remember that IT is a small world.

Having been asked to go back and work for people before in the past I learned long ago never to burn bridges by saying things you will regret later.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hey man,

I being there trust me.

My advice is if you do not like the place and it is not worth it (not much money, no special career growth) leave now and leave in good strides.

If you need the job for income then stay, but that's if you NEED the money.

I was in your shoes, I was in a horrible company but I stayed there close to 2 years cause it offered special career growth that I could not get else where. Then I got into beef with the owners and I got fired (unjustified dismals) I was also told by my ex co-worker that one of the owners took time off for 2 weeks and was in hospital cause of the stress and pain I caused them (which he deserves, if your week minded your week, don't mess with me and I wont mess with you) I was unemployed for 4 months but because of the experience I got from that horrible place I managed to get a huge crazy salary increase of close to 40 percent.

Also there is no perfect job every company has something for an example I love my current company and the money but there is no growth and its boring.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Aushus, you really need to stop bad mouthing previous employers like this, I have told you in the past that it's a small world, even more in the case of you and NZ. Please think long and hard about what you're saying and doing because I don't want you to get bitten on the arse at some point and taken to court for what you're saying (they are after all the owners of the company and it's their perogative to run the company how they feel).