Your desk setup.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by adam9, Sep 10, 2014.

1. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

My desk setup is not designed for PC use and my body is feeling it, particularly the arms while typing. There is a lot of info online on how your desk and seating position should be setup and I need to buy a new desk and chair and possibly some peripherals aids to achieve this. I imagine you guys are on your PCs a lot, how are you setup?

What desk do you use?

What chair do you use?

Do you use any peripheral aids like: foot rest, wrist cushion, ergonomic thingy?

What did/would you roughly pay for all of the above?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I can't recommend the Ikea Markkus chair highly enough.

Desk came from Staples, no idea how much it cost.

3. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

+1 on the IKEA Markus chair. It's very comfortable.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Can't speak for the desk/chair but I use a Microsoft Natural 7000 keyboard and mouse at work which (when set up and used properly) is a hell of a lot more comfortable than a standard keyboard and doesn't cause me to lose feeling in my fingers like I used to.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A +1 for the Microsoft Natural 7000 - I've used the keyboard for the best part of a decade (well, I've had to buy new ones, but I always get the same model) and the mouse is pretty decent too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. I think I'll sort out the desk first and then chair, before looking at ergo keyboard and mouse.

I have a desktop PC not a laptop but in the mean time as a temporary solution what do you think of these lap desks on Amazon?

Belkin Notebook Cush Desk

eTray Laptop Computer Tray - Voco

I'll put my keyboard on there but the mouse will have to stay on the desk as the arms on my chair aren't wide enough and can't be lifted out the way.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Laptop cushions look like a waste of time.

Important things :-

1. Move around frequently, I'm talking large macro movements, get up, stretch, push ups, take a break, whatever.
    2. Try to re-focus your eyes at regular intervals
    3. Try to adopt a natural position, don't hold tension in your hands or arms.
    4. Ensure the top of of your monitor is at least as high as your eye level when you are sitting bolt upright.
    Most standard monitor stands are completely useless, 2-3 large books can be a quick fix. Long term fix is decent VESA mount.

Personally I don't like chairs with arms, they just get in the way, sitting close to your desk is likely to result in better posture.
    Also avoid desks with awkward legs or cross members,

I let my palms rest on the first 3-4 inches of my desk when not typing. No gimmicks.

I use a standard keyboard, but I like to ensure there is a decent action, not too light or heavy.

I use a wired optical Microsoft mouse.

Some people are experimenting with standing desks, I might give them a go soon.

Laptops are notoriously bad for long term use, you should avoid them at all costs.

I got a second hand office chair off ebay £15, its fully adjustable, no arms, 5 roller feet.

FREDRIK desk from Ikea, £70, plenty similar ex office furniture on ebay.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  8. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tested the laptop cushion idea with a pillow cushion. I agree with you, will be a waste.

I need to get the keyboard & mouse on or just above lap level. That feels the most natural and comfortable position for me.

My desk has two drawers underneath so I can't get my legs under when the chair is raised, the chair arms prevent me from getting close anyway and my chair doesn't raise high enough to get my arms comfortable just to top it all off.

I stopped using eBay due to bad experiences, I may have to go in store to physically test out the desk and chair but nearby stores are stocked with overpriced poop it seems so ikea and amazon look like the best options.

The desk you suggested look like it will do the job if I can get a chair that will raise high enough and allow me to get my legs underneath it so the desk table is just above my lap.

What do you make of the HJH Office/Buerostuhl24 621710 Swivel Office Chair on Amazon? It's £70 but I asked customers via amazon and they say it is massive, it will support my head and should be high enough. Though I will need to confirm with precise measurements compared to the FREDRIK desk.
    Also the arms fold up and out the way. I will probably want chair arms to sit back and rest on when not typing, but I'll want them out the way especially when using the mouse as they block my movement outwards to grab it.

This is what my current setup looks like on a daily basis just out of interest:

photo.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I never use chair arms, i just rest my arms on the desk.

Most of your issues seem to stem from :-

Having a high desk (because of drawers), with zero leg room : replace with proper office furniture, clean basic desk, no drawers, and nothing underneath
    Having a chair with arms : if you have a functioning desk that you can sit at, really you don't need them, think about your school days...
    Having a low set monitor : stick some books under it (really its the best use for certification books!)
    Having no desk space : Get bigger desk and de-clutter, this will allow room to move mouse (9+ square inches), room to rest you palms (4 inches in front of keyboard), etc

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

The problem with that deesk is that you can't slouch beneath it and hold it up with your belly. This is my approach to ergonomics and I am never in pain.

Be a man of jelly for perfectly functioning spine, wrists and bowels I say.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  11. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Also people who barge into me would bounce off during commutes. But too late, damage to my body has already been done.

I have done a lot of research and the main problem I have is the desk height and chair height. Most ordinary desks are at around 75 cm high and PC chairs I've been finding are adjustable between 47 cm to 57 cm high.

I may get the Galant desk at Ikea which can be adjusted between 60 cm high and 90 cm high. Price is £84. It's a £49 desk + £35 delivery! I don't live anywhere near an Ikea unfortunately.

Alternatively there is a £40 desk which is 75 cm high. I can get an affordable chair and stick some pillows on it so when sitting my forearms are at a 90 degree angle with the keyboard.

Both desks are plain desks. No shelves, drawers, keyboard trays, stands, or planks underneath.

dmarsh, when you rest your arms on the desk are your shoulders relaxed or raised due to desk and chair height differential?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Generally I am fine, my setup does not have your issues. I don't have issues with desk proximity, arm or wrists, legs, etc.

The natural tenancy (even with a good setup) is to slouch or stoop, I think this is just a fundamental problem with long periods of desk bound working.

You have to make some efforts to have a good posture. My head and shoulders will naturally drop over time, the human head weights about 5kg, this is a lot for your back and shoulder muscles to support for 8 hours, even a slight downward head tilt puts these muscles under tension.

You can help it with :-
    Reasonably High set monitor
    Frequent Movements from chair
    Standing desks
    Certain designer chairs