Your Advice On Career Path...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Sure Shot, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi All,

Something that's been bothering me a touch..

I am currently working in telecoms looking to start a career in IT a.s.a.p.

I know enough about the different fields of IT that exist and am confident that network engineering/admin is the department I am going to work towards.

I have passed the N+, I am currently studying for a MCDST and work self employed part time as a mobile pc engineer (fixing peoples pc's in their homes).

2 things I'm unsure of:

1. What certs would you recommened next and in what order?

2. What suitable low level job roles could you suggest I look for to get into this field?

Obviously I am studying desktop support and realise 1st line helpdesk roles are a common starting point. I am not against the idea of starting here but would like to get some more ideas on other "starting" roles for networking.

Thanks

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hmm that's tricky one!

Depends on the employer if you look incomputer weekly or on Monster you will see some ask for CISCO some ask for MCSE!

Some firms (mostly UK) you require you to have ITIL or they won't touch you with a barge pole:biggrin

Here's a link from MONSTER that shows IT jobs in Wales click here

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would recommend you also getting the A+ aside from having the N+ and MCDST. Its a basic certification with lots of information that will greatly help you even in network admin job.

Usually when you start out in IT you start with level 1 help desk support and work your way up from there. Its never really certain as to what job you will or will not get, its more like what makes you happy doing, whether its starting as a level 1 help desk support or as a junior system admin. The bottom line is getting the necessary experience in order to do what you love but to get the experience you need to start somewhere.

Also if you are having some problems finding a job consider an internship if its within your reach. If you can afford to do that financially maybe part time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo the same as the others - A+ as well as MCDST - and try and look for some sort of commercial experience. Look for jobs as entry level, 1st line support, telephone support - something like that.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Cisco and/or Juniper certification paths would probably the the logical course for someone wanting to be a network admin.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...but will only be helpful after you've gotten a bit of real-world experience. Like the others, I'd suggest the A+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is of course, true. You can't jump the gun and dive into those areas without covering the basics and getting your hands dirty, first.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Well I have done the A+ course but not the exams. This is what has enabled me to work fixing pc's.

Do you think it's just as important to have the cert as well?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The cert proves, both to you as well as to others, that you do indeed understand the material. Without the test you have no way of knowing that you in fact covered all the bases!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. BosonMichael

Employers won't care that you did a course... they WILL care if you've got the certification or not. Certification enables a potential employer to see that you meet the baseline level of skill and can pass an exam related to those skills. Without it... they have to rely on your word that you can do the job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Is it best to do A+ or MCDST first?

WIP: HND Technical Support, MCDST
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd do the A+ first. It is vendor neutral and covers a very wide field (but not very deep).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. BosonMichael

What he said. :)

14. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Yeah I agree, but what I was getting at was wheather or not employers "look" for A+ and wheather or not it would make a huge difference to a job application if say you already have an N+ and MCDST to show off?

Thanks

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good question, sometimes I don’t think your C.V even lands on the IT manager’s desk if it doesn’t have a MS cert on it. I blame HR! :biggrin

Go for the A+ if it interests you, if not you may not have the motivation to finish it. Perhaps even aim for the 70-270 after MCDST?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. BosonMichael

Any advantage you can get will be helpful. Not to mention, when studying for the A+, you just might learn something you didn't already know.

17. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

I've heard the 270 is a good one to do next. Any idea how tough it is? I have read through the objectives and it looks ok, a bit like the MCDST is it?

Thanks

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm going to go ahead and break the chain here
    I DONT think you really have to take the A+ exam

as stated above you have worked fixing PCs, that experience alone usually counts as equal to an A+
    an A+, whilst brilliantly thorough is really considered the entry level of entry level certs, having additional certs and practical experience means your unlikely to benefit from sitting the exam
    you obviously already have the skills

I'd look at upgrading your N+ skills to get some vendor exposure (Cisco/Juniper as trip says) or upgrading your MCDST to an MCSA and eventually an MCSE

as mentioned, things like ITIL are useful, but hardly a requirement anywhere yet, and often if a company needs it they will train you in it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. BosonMichael

...but without the A+, a potential employer can't verify the fact that you have the skills.

Look at it this way - if you already have the skills, the A+ should be a breeze. If you don't already have the skills, then the A+ was worth doing anyway, right?

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

not really
    your experience verifies your skills, your reference verifies your experience
    a cert verifies nothing other than your ability to pass a computer based test, its verifying skills that your experience has already verified

the experience counts for MORE in this instance, without it the cert would count for substantially more

JMHO

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0