Young Professionals and the British Computer Society

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 11, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

OK, will have news for you shortly :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Ta matey :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I have relatives at Sutton Coldfield and Tamworth :biggrin

Nice part of the country :biggrin

I'm awaiting "official" confirmation from HQ but I think you would be served by the Birmingham branch itself. From their website it looks like they tend to hold meetings at the Tally Ho Sports & Conference Centre, Pershore Road, Birmingham B5 7RN (not sure how far away that would be for you ?).

They have a Facebook Group : http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=3737&uid=7841041666

Autumn events are listed here

Committee contact details here

Why not contact them and say you'd like to pop along to a meeting ? They're not restricted to Members only and it's a good opportunity to network with your peers.

If you need any more info PM me. If I get told a different branch by HQ I'll post here.

(Edit : Looks like the Tally Ho place is about 20 miles from Lichfield)

4. Qs

Thanks for the info. +rep

...You're trying exceptionally hard to make me join the BCS, and I think the arm twisting may be working :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

You don't need to join straight away (ask the branch about the 10% discount :biggrin ) but just get a bit involved by attending some meetings and meeting people. You never know when it will pay off !

(OK, so now join ! :twisted: )

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's the light touch, if that don't work, we'll send the heavies in :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I get emails from them but i'm always too worried to go to anything. Surely its more for people who are actually in IT or know something of it, I would need to take my dunces cap along with me and sit in the corner.
    Am sure they have one in Telford which is only 20 miles away from me.

Also to add to this the YPG website seems to focus on degree graduates in all the career advice

WIP: A+
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

40 miles?

Maybe if you drove down the A5 all the way :wink:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Hey, don't be put off ! The BCS is there to help and encourage ! :biggrin

I've just come back form a Branch committee meeting and stressed to the YPG rep exactly the point that they shoul not concentrate on Uni students/graduates.

Just drop an email to a local committee member and I'm sure you'd be welcomed at any meeting.

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The focus on uni students/graduates is something I spotted as well but I just thought 'screw it, I'm probably as good if not better than plenty of graduates so I'll make some noise for the non-uni bods' :biggrin

getting the YPG to change its focus away from the universities can only happen if those who don't/didn't go to uni get involved, if you want to see more stuff that will focus on you then ask!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Do you have to joib the branch closest to you or is it based on choice? I've looked at the Hampshire website and it doesn't seem to get updated very much. The Dorset branch does however :)

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

If you login to the Members area on the BCS wesbite you can set it to be advised about 3 branches (I've selected Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire). You'll then be added to the branch mailing list and get any notifications about events etc. that they send out.

Each branch uses it's website differently. Some may not update at the moment due to holidays etc. and don't forget the new "season" for meetings won't start until into September for most branches.

There is also a new wesbite launch from the BCS coming in Septemeber which may affect the branch websites too so some have decided to put a hold on development of their branch site until they see what the BCS produce.

Glad you take note of the Dorset site ! We do our best to keep it updated and are looking at lots of things for the next season in terms of different types of events including holding one or two away from the Bournemouth/Poole conurbation so we cater for those Members that live further away.

13. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

We have one here and a group on Facebook but sadly it's not very active. I Posted a couple of things on the facebook to see if they still meet but looks like no one had posted on it for over a year. I think I will keep trying as it is great to meet with link minded people.

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Suggest you follow the feedback instructions on their website here and point out about Facebook. Some branches find it's used a lot by their members, others find it's hardly used (including us in Dorset).

Just checked for you and they don't appear to have a LinkedIn Group setup (something to suggest perhaps ?)

15. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Thanks UKDarkstar, that helps. I've been more seriously looking at signing up to BCS, especially in this type of climate :)

16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I have a speed netowkring event planned for September and another "Job Night" event for end of October. They're open to all, not just Members so you can come along and find out if you like us :p

17. Qs

...A speed networking event?

18. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Is that a covert way of saying speed dating? lol

WIP: A+
  19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Lol.

Nope, ideal way for contractors and those jobhunting to meet each other and other IT pro's. They spend 2-3 minutes detailing each other's experience/skills etc.

You never know when you might meet someone who can introduce some business or a job to you !

20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think I'll give this a little *bump* to elevate YPG awareness. Not for my own personal reasons, no no. It's for the BCS.

When I plan my first YPG event in Birmingham, I'll post details / links to the websites in this forum - but for the meantime, you may want to find and join your local branch to get in on the party :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA