You wait for bloody ages and 3 come a long at once

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Apr 25, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So as I mentioned in my other post as I knocked back the building society job because they wanted me to drop even further in wages than was originally stated and also because my work has offered me an interim IT support role.

I have just had a phone call from an IT recruitment agency who I have had contact with in the the past and they are looking for someone to train up in implementing a new system and to train users on an individual basis and then provide support to those users if needed.

No one told me IT was like waiting for a bus :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Blimey!! Is it going to be a case of "decisions decisions"? Nice to know that you're in demand mate huh!! :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  3. greenbrucelee

the only issue I have with the recruitment agency job is that it would be a 40 mile trip to work and 40 back, but I suppose if I am required to travel to the various offices for this agency then they would pay petrol or provide a company car.

With the way petrol prices are at this moment that would be a requirement for me to take the job.

4. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

I would have thought so (but worth asking if it's not mentioned in the interview, knowing what some companies can be like!). Go for a top of the range BMW or Jag!! :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  5. greenbrucelee

I already have a BMW I wonder if they would get me an M3 :hhhmmm I could tell them it would get me to appointments more quickly :twisted:

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some do, some don't. Many won't pay for you to drive from your home to the main office, but they will pay for travel from the main office to the branch offices. Make sure to find out before signing on the dotted line. :)

Major congrats on the job offers, mate!!! Take the job that will be best for your long-term career goals. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

nahh go for the M5 or the 645i, then you'll never be late :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Rubbish! You could still get caught in traffic.

If you really dont want to ever be late, get a Delorean, with the FlxCap addon. Good for the environment, and you're never going to be late again. :biggrin

Sounds like a good start GBL, go with the best opportunity.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

That's good news for you GBL. Glad you're starting to make progress on the ol' job front :thumbleft

I travel 35 miles each way to work every day and it costs me about £160 a month. I only use a little 1.1 litre peugeot 106 which is very economical. Over the year it costs about £1900 just on fuel, then you have wear and tear on the car as well.

I also have to travel to other sites (occasionally) and I don't get a company car, just 40p per mile.

If the costs add up then it's worth considering this role, but have a good think about how much it's going to cost you.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yep pretty much sums it up. I had a period of nothing for about a month then all of a suden I was getting about a call a day for 2 weeks off agencies which is how I got the job I'm doing now.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. greenbrucelee

Yes I am going way everything up with cost etc, I am not sure how much the agency job pays but I'm sure I'll find out. It'll probably be best to stay where I am but then again it depends on how much the agency pays.

I have never considered training people on how to use computers or a system before, I do train people in my current job and show them how to use the systems we have so it shouldn't be too much of a problem I'll see what pans out and go for the best opportunity.

I'll work out which is best for me in turns of progression and doing something which I enjoy and also the money issue will be something to figure out too.

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the offers...
    As already said, take the one that helps you accomplish your career goals. 8)

13. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

best of luck greenbrucelee 8)

14. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

GBL just wanted to say congrats and that with the UK possibly facing a recession soon, be sure to weigh up job security when considering your choices.

Financial sector has already cut some IT jobs and there will no doubt be more to follow.

All the best.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  15. greenbrucelee

Thanks for that, I'll probably stay were I am as its more secure and I know the place pretty well as I have been here 8 years.

16. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Not the nicest cars to drive unless your thrashing them, you could get yourself a nice 335d good car and quick, 135i, very quick too

WIP: A+
  17. greenbrucelee

I think they are great cars to drive being rear wheel drive. I was looking at 2.0 litre diesel the other day, I cant afford a brand new one but that depends on wether my wages go up.

I drove an M6 once which was a bit too big for me and I have driven a 7 series which was too long too, I like my 3 series so I am going to look for another in the future.

18. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I just find for normal driving the're very 'clunky' and not very smooth, same is true of the M powered Z4 with the same engine in, they want to be driven hard. I am on about the last generation of M3 (E46) ive not yet driven many ofthe new one.
    I suppose if you drove one all the time you would probably learn to nurse it more. I prefer the M5 to the M6 personally, like you say the M6 feels too long.
    The diesels are very good now, if i was buying a BM id probably have a 3.0 Z4 coupe, a 335d coupe or 135i coupe.

Sorry ive hijacked the thread lol

So yeah buses :lol:

WIP: A+
  19. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I took the job I have now because they offered me a company vehicle that can be used for personal use AND a gas card. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  20. greenbrucelee

That would be cool :D