You never know who will be reading your posts...

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by BosonMichael, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've advised for years that people be as professional as possible when posting on forums, because you never know who will be reading what you post. You can even get a job while posting on forums - for example, Josh and I would not have been asked to write the Sybex book if we were not active in the certification forum community.

Unfortunately, you can also lose a job opportunity by posting on forums, as user bradcarr has discovered. Read the unfortunate hilarity for yourself, here, up until ptinsley's post on page 2.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wow... It seems to me that some people will do anything to cheat, even if it's an open book/internet questionaire, instead of doing a simple search...:scratch

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Interesting link:biggrin

Funny how Brad never gave them his version of the answers, ooh do you think he never had any in the first place:tongue :wink:

I like the titles of the number of posts each member has on that forum very funny!

5 Cups of Ubuntu, Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu, Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans - amazing where people get these titles from!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. BosonMichael

I found it interesting that the employer is in the Nashville area. :D I forwarded the job posting to one of my local buddies.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL owned. Good he deserves it. He shouldn't of tried cheating.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

haha that is so funny!:dunce

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

I don't have a problem with him asking for help ... I don't even have a problem with him sticking that list up ...

I do have a problem with the fact that he was stupid enough to stick it on one of the most popular sites and expect people to fill in the answers without having even made a start to answer any of the questions. Forget using Google, he could have just used the forum's own search engine to get a heap of information (a friend got about 3/4 of it within an hour directly from previous posts from regulars ... and a few irregulars!)

You can call it being efficient when you use forums or mailing lists rather than calling it lazy but heck ... we've all done it when we are desperate for an answer and would just prefer to have someone say "Here is how you do it" to save our bacon ... and we have done it in return to help others out ... but this is usually for fellow regulars on whatever list / forum / board we prefer. Perhaps I am just a jaded person on forums / etc but surely after being on there for two years and making a handful of posts he should know better.

Numpty!

8. BosonMichael

The employer himself even mentioned that he expected the candidate to make full use of Google. But a laziness with regard to the questions is indicative of the potential to exhibit the same laziness in a job. I too would have been OK had he posted what he thought were the correct answers, and the employer likely would have agreed, considering the candidate would have already done the initial legwork.

Here is where we disagree: we "all" haven't done it. I always, always, always look for the answer myself. There's a reason why I don't post technical questions on forums. ;) Doesn't make me any "better" than anyone else... I simply use the tools at my disposal rather than ask someone else to do the legwork and research that *I* should be doing.

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That is hilarious.

I'm half with you BM. I google and search around for answers to questions, spend some time fiddling, and trying to find the answer. But there is no shame in using what resources you have to find an answer to a question you dont know the answer to. Posting on a technical forum is akin to poking your head next door and asking your colleague if they have encountered it before. Its especially true of the fiddly answers.

I would expect anyone to make an attempt at divining the answer. After that, I have no objection to sharing my knowledge.

That said too, I sometimes disagree with that. I'm a software developer. I am not so skilled in the knowledge of network infrastructure. My posting a network problem (here for instance) is me asking those who do have that knowledge to help point me in the right direction. Or, in a really bad case, tell me what I need to know/do. Likewise, I respond in kind. If someone really needs a script to do something, but isnt a programmer, i'll help them out if I can, and supply them with a script. Its all give and take, just in different areas.

Even within software development thats true. By nature of my background, I understand AD more than the other guys in my office. So when its an AD issue, I get sought for advice on the matter. Why waste a developers morning searching for the details when I may already have the answer to give them. I dont know too much about oracle though, so I seek the advice of our technical developers, who do have that experience and knowledge. I do usually do a quick google first though, to stop myself looking like a total muppet, and will spend longer searching if they are busy.

Its all about intelligent use of available resources. Thats the key anywhere.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Its just lazyness and pretty much 'braindumping' for a job interview. I would certainly look up the answer myself before posting on a forum. Although I don't post that much on here, I certainly read a lot of the posts, you can certainly spot the people who've made an effort to research the problem first and have a basic understanding of a subject, like for example file permisssions, over someone who is basically lazy and looking to shortcut through a certification process. Thats the real shame when there are people like Trip, BM, Wagnerk and countless others on forums like this who give their valuable time to assist people and give out knowledge, only for people to not really apprieciate the value of it.

That said, if this guy had got to an interview, I would like to think the interviewer would have spotted this and thrown him to the lions. :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  11. BosonMichael

No, there's no shame in using every available resource... but don't expect us to research something for you that you haven't already done research on... that's all I'm sayin'. :)

In that case, you're asking a question that is beyond your skillset - no shame in doing that, because you may not even know where to start looking for help. A nudge in the right direction is invaluable in those cases. But you're not the sort that wants someone to do it FOR you... you just want a good attack strategy.

In contrast, that dude was answering a questionnaire that SHOULD have been indicative of his own skills... not the skills of everyone else. :)

The difference is that you DO that quick Google first... and it DOES keep you from looking like a muppet. You can usually tell whether someone has made even the slightest effort. :) I'm all about helping people... but I'm NOT about doing someone's work FOR them, know what I mean?

Props. :)

12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree. I hereby nominate this as 'Quote of the day'. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What really gets me about this is that the guy clearly has no clue. I know practically sod all about Linux, but have picked up enough over the years, just from fiddling around with it to know the answers to half those questions.

This tool doesn't know anything, and if he had managed to get some answers from other people, may well have wasted the interviewer's time and denied a perfectly acceptable candidate a face to face interview due to bring sifted out.

I sometimes absolutely despise this industry. It seems to attract the laziest people on earth and, unlike some other occupations where you can pretty much get away your whole life with not knowing or doing very much and not caring either way, if you're like that in IT some poor guy always has to pick up after you.

People like this are the sole reason my patience threshold for laziness has dropped to virtually zero in the past few years.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe it's me but anything you want to find is on the internet. When using a search engine you do not have to be gramatically correct or be completely specific to find your answer.

I can say that I type in what range is a certain IP number and got bombarded with explanations and cheat sheets for the N+ without even mentioning the N+.

Using the net for study can be good as long as it's done in a legit way but asking people for help cheating is dumb and lazy, people who do it need routing out and stopped.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I feel the same way. Basically because of some of the “IT professionals” I have had to deal with over the past few years.

The guy who got busted isn’t the first and won’t be the last person to take shortcuts. There are plenty of others like him who want to work in IT and think they are the best but basically they don’t give a f**k about doing things the right way and actually improving their technical skills.

Mini rant over :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Huh! please guys keep it cool as the world of IT does not revolve around anyone of us. That said those who are genuine and make the effort do thrive, nuff said and runs:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

To be honest, I wouldn't even tie this down to technical stuff.

Ever asked a builder friend for help laying some concrete? Or a mechanic friend fixing a car? Or a chef friend on preparing a meal?

It's all the sort of same thing to me. There are times when friends or regular acquaintances will help each other out knowing that it is, more often than not, a two way thing (or even if it is a one way thing ... it all sorts of karmically balances out! ... it has gone on for years, long before Google, long before usenet / boards / forums / lists, long before computers.

But you always get one person that walks into the pub every so often and makes a request / demand that just makes people think "heck ... we spent bloody ages learning our trade ... years in an apprenticeship, slowly working our way up to the skill artisans that we are today, 30 years behind the hammer and chisel ... and you want us to conceptually design, architecturally draw and then build a flippin' cathedral? I don't care if you name is Christopher Wren, get out of our pub!"