Yo :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BOB_R, Mar 26, 2008.

1. BOB_R

BOB_R New Member

Yo, Names Roberto ( 22 ) i have been working in a Helpdesk/Desktop Role for about 3 years and i would say coasting through each role, i have no problems resolving 1st and 2nd line issues but i am tired of being a phone monkey and wanted to move into a Network Role. I thought about going down the MCP Route but could hardly keep my eyes from shutting while reading through the books. So i have decided to study for the ccent to push me in the right direction, i dont get alot of time working with the network tools , and the company i work for has said that if i pass this they will help with completing my CCNA.

Anyway i ramble on , thats me hello to you all.

Rob

Certifications: A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

It's great that your company offered to help - many don't!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BOB_R

BOB_R New Member

Thanx for the warm welcome , also wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts on what kit to buy for studying my CCENT/CCNA , dont want to buy crap :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: CCNA
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums…

As for your question…
    It’s too open ended to answer easily. In a perfect (where money and time is no object) you should buy real equipment. However this decision will change depending on other factors. Here are some examples:
    - Money: Real equipment is expensive. Some prefer the simulators or rack-rental option.
    - Space & Power: Real equipment needs to sit somewhere. There are cables to connect and disconnect while working on labs. Don’t forget these boxes need power!
    - Intentions: Hardware and software become outdated. This happens even quicker in the IT-world, and even quicker when learning a vendor specific subject. The point is, if there is no intention (or a considerable delay of time) of pursuing the next Cisco cert after the CCNA, you can run the risk of equipment going stale, and/or useless.

In my opinion, you should consider real-equipment if you’re planning to go further than the CCNA fairly soon. Based on your stated experience, I’d say go for the CCNA and get more experience before attempting a CCxP certification.

Good luck… :study

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?