Yet more CD problems !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Why do I always have problems with bl**dy CD drives ???

OK, I think I know the answer to this, but see what you think ?

Got my new mega-Burner in and working. (CD-RW, no DVD). It came bundled with Nero Express and InCD for Packet-writng (ideal for drag-and-drop backups to disk)

So, at first I only installed Nero Express to back-up a couple of data disks. All worked fine. But yesterday, I had to copy a full back-up of My Documents to CD, using packet-writing, so I installed InCD, and the copy worked fine.

But after that, every time I shut down (W2K Server) I get complete BSOD. So, to test it out, I uninstall InCD - all is well, and the server shuts down fine.

Re-install InCD, do another test back-up, works fine. Shut-down, BSOD. Uninstall InCD, shut-down is fine.

I know this sounds obvious, but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same, or heard of any known issues regarding this. I have some other CD software that I'll try.

Thanks in avance.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Never Had any problems myself, however i have never had a need to use InCD

Sorry mate

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No worries, Derek - I have a version of Nero thats not bundled with a product. I'll give that a go.

The packet-writing software is great for drag-n-dropping with CD-RWs. Thats why I wanted to have it working. But not if its gonna Blue Screen the server every time :evil:

I'll let you know it works ...

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I just drag and drop in Nero, from the right hand pane to the left then click burn compilation.

Dont see any need for InCD

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

The difference (I think ?) is that InCD lets you do it from Explorer - like it's just another folder your dropping into. Makes back-ups/restore, full or partial, a piece of cake !

Am I missing something here ?

Answers on a postcard, as usual ... :oops:

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the good things I've always found is being able to right click and send to the CD drive. But I must admit that InCD has given me a few problems in the past.

Have you tried installing updates for nero? I've solved problems in the past with updating the software. Just a thought.

SimonV
    :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Si - I'll try the "un-bundled" version I have first, then look at updating.

Do Ahead charge for upgrades ?

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Upgrades, probably. But they normally have product updates for the version you have. Its worth a try anyway. :D

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...