Yet Another Hi! - What about a network support biz?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ukbubs, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ukbubs

ukbubs New Member

Been lurking for a couple of days - great forum - glad to see I'm not the only one who is addicted enough to this stuff to think of trying to make a living at it.

I've been an amateur to date - but the kind who plays around with AD configs for fun, as well as the normal pc building stuff.

I just took MCSE quizes on another site for MCSE 70-210, 215, 216 and 217, and whilst I;m not sure I would have passed them all for real if I took them tomorrow, the only one on which I bombed badly was 217. So i reckon MCSA / MCSE is not a crazy ambition - even tho I'm unlikely to work for the size of organisation where AD forests are ever necessary!

I understand the perils etc of running a small 'fix your home pc' business, and have read others' posts on the subject. My question is slighly different......

There are plenty of businesses which run LANs, but have no need of a full time sysadmin. What is the market of providing support services on an outsourced basis?

Sure, I lack track record, but I have plenty of management and sales experience, so I know I could talk with MDs on their level etc.

Am I mad :oops: or just ambitious??? :)

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is a market but its VERY hard to get into. I work for a small IT company but we support around 25 networks, most of them are small networks (15-50 people) and the larger ones have an in-house guy who generally does the day to day support and we only get involved when there is a firewall config change or a server crash.

I would suggest getting certified as many clients we approach ask for certification. Also if you are aiming at small business it would be beneficial to learn small business server inside out, it’s a great product and affordable for smaller companies.

Even though you have done well on the test MCSE questions there are other areas to consider if you want to support small business. An installation can involve installing a firewall\router, changing ISP hosts, migrating from an old server, so there are many areas you need to be familiar with, or know somebody that can help!

Anyways, best of luck and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I reckon for all of us to be studying our butts off and learning there must be some form of a market! i hope so! :tongue

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well over here in QLD it's difficult to pull off. I do okay but my financial outgoings are very low in comparison to most people. If I had a mortgage and kids, I wouldn't be able to cut it. The main reason, is the lack of business and the complexity of the business that does come my way.

In reality people do not like paying for their computers to be repaired and my customers know that I will fix it but I will charge them. Not huge sums but a fair amount. So, before they ring me, they get their son, his mate the geek, his aunt and grandmother to all have a bash. Typically by the time I get to see it, it's FUBAR. Then it takes time and you can't really charge for the amount of non-productive time repairing computers and networks generate. For example you can't charge for researching a particular error code or for the time it takes to research and eradicate a malware infection.

Also you have to pay for advertising, in such places as the Yellow Pages. I do that and it costs an arm and a leg. Now from last year, I could probably count the leads that came from Yellow pages on one hand. Money wasted or a good investment for the future? I believe that in a year or so the business will bring in sufficient income to make it worthwhile but that would be my third year running it. If you can afford to make zilch for three years, until you have amassed a large enough customer base to generate enough work, then you have a chance of making a go of it. Otherwise I would think twice if I were you.

Pete

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, welcome to the forum :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. ukbubs

ukbubs New Member

Tks - esp Sparky and Bluerinse.:beers2

Sounds like the difficulties of starting up any small biz :hhhmmm , esp the bit about not expecting to see any real return until yr 3. :eek: Point well taken about routers, isps etc.......

Following a bruising redundancy, I've been flanelling around for months trying to work out what to do next, during which time I've taught myself a fair amount of linux stuff (roll on Samba 4! LOL).

The idea of doing what I love for a living just doesn't go away, despite the challenges. Next step - do some certs and keep (employed) jobhunting I think. I have the benefit of various potential client contacts I can sound out without taking too much of a flying leap in the dark.

If anybody has any info they'd be happy to share about charge-out rates etc, feel free to PM me.

BTW - I would highly recommend playing with linux as a way of increasing understanding and self-confidence. It's really helped me understand all sorts of issues on a completely cross-platform basis which previously were just black boxes lurking behind a W32 gui. For example - you can't play around with a linux shell for any length of time and remain shy of the MS command line! :biggrin

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Bub,

Welcome to the forum, good luck for the future :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+