Yes, another post about TP's...sorry!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hugorilho, May 11, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I'm going to share with you my experience with Computrain-uk.com.

I've signed up with these guys last February for an MCSE and since then it's been so weird. I mean i must admit that I didn't do the proper research about these certifications or the issues envolving training providers. I was simply a young portuguese dude who came to Newcastle to study in the local University but got here earlier to see if I could get a job, and slowly reboot my life. Of course with this economic climate, employers couldn't care less about a portuguese dude with some good but non certified IT skills. They would rather employ an english dude natively in tune with this country's and this particular northeast region's culture, and of course with a better CV.

So as soon as I found out about these IT certifications I saw an open window to get me out of this gloomy and unemployed momentum that my life has been drowned in.

Of course I looked for the cheapest TP, 'cause I couldn't even imagine that this could be done in self study mode. Computrain-uk.com seemed decent. They use mindleaders materials that check out as good in Certguard and they gave a me a license key to use Measure UP mock exams that are endorsed by Microsoft (I'm aware that in these forums you guys prefer the Trancender ones...).

Juan Ramirez, the guy who I first contacted with on the phone was honest from the day one. He did pitched me (of course) about the how bright my future would be but he did say that the course was gonna be hard and expensive. I still wanted to do it cause I was a bit desperate and hopeless. So I signed up. I didn't have to wait for the materials. They instantly (like two days after the agreement was signed) gave me a username and password to access their system.

In the beginning things were stressful. I was given a "personal trainer" that didn't replied to my e-mails. After a rageful phonecall they've given me another trainer, a sexy voice lady hehe (i wonder if they did that on purpose, lol).

Then it was the ECDL issue. Guys, please tell me if there's an actual ECDL exam? I was told that the ECDL was part of the certification path towards the MCSE but the only thing I did was some quite long and detailed MindLeaders' Office 2007 tutorials (yes, including Access...BORING!)

After those tutorials that had small tests in the end (wich i passed after a month) I was simply given the materials for the MCDST and here I am after two months, biting my fingernails and studying compulsively. I don't know if I was tricked or not, but i'm pretty sure that that I was supposed to be doing an ECDL exam.

So now I'm in a weird state. i'm enjoying the learning experience as i know I can cope with these subjects and i consider myself to be a good learner. I'm not planning on counting on their so called job garantee cause I'm new to IT and I will be studying for quiet a few months as these things take time to settle in and I'm no genius. So no one can ever garantee me a job that i will be starting, say, in six months time. As soon as i get my MCDST i'll carry on hunting for a job myself as I've been doing in the past 4 and half months since I got here in Newcastle, with a new hope.

So in conclusion...

In a way i regret to have signed up with a tp and spend this amount of money, but in another way, i'm enjoying the materials they have provided me wich are decent and not braindumps. For example, the Sybex book (wich i bought second hand for £10) does not even mention what a HAL is. The MindLeaders materials seem acurate, easy to understand and to use.

And, of course, i cannot afford to be moaning about the option that I made, so let's work and make the most of it.

If someone in these forums is in the same situation as I am, or is currently studying with Computrain-uk.com please let me now, PM me or whatever so that we could share experiences and help eachother.

Thank you for reading. Cheers mates

PS: I'm an FC Porto fan and yesterday we won our fouth consecutive portuguese championship! YEAH!!!

Certifications: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The ECDL does have an exam but it does not count in anyway towards the MCSE see here for MCSE objectives http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/mcse.mspx

The ECDL is below the A+ in terms of skill needed to support and maintain computers it is more of a certification for someone looking to be a bit of a power user in an office.

Unfortunatley people will say anything to get you to hand over your cash. The A+ and N+ can count towards an elective for the MCSA but not MCSE.

As is said in the link above the MCSE is for people already working in the related areas and not for someone looking at getting a job in IT.

Your training provider may have requirement for you to do a certain amount of certs before going for the 7 MCSE exams, so you may have to do ECDL, MCDST A+,N+,MCSA which is 7 exams before they even put you on the MCSE I would get clarification from them if I were you

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I remember to have read in a post here (cant remember what thread it was in...) that someone simply stopped the monthly payments to it's TP and never had any problems since. Does anyone remember this post? How could he get away with that?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't think thats possible unless he was in the cooling off period. If you stop paying them and it's after the cooling off period then they will persue you for the money through court if necessary.

But if you can prove you have been mis-sold a course then you could get a refund and compo. Talk to them first and tell them you are not happy, record everything you are doing then seek advice from a solicitor or citizen advice etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Huh. get real, it has nothing to do with your race and everything to do with your *experience*. :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I did not mean to imply that I've been a victim of racism. I know that I my experience in IT is not relevant. But then again it has been a tough time for all of us who are unemployed and with no experience and I'm away from home and sometimes the world just seems unfair...and that's why i say stupid things like that...for that I apologise to all you guys here in the forums. I'm also absolutely pissed at myself for being so naive when dealing with these TP's. All i want wanted was to get a job...That's not a greedy thing isn´t it? Oh well...back to work then. Hopefully, I will have that MCDST and world will start to be as sunny as my dear home Portugal!

7. chen

chen New Member

ok i am new to the forums and i have been reading alot lately about TP's because i have enquired about a mcsa and mcse courses with Computrain-uk. They have rang me on a few occasions now to talk about the course they offer. After various calls on level of commitment and a telephone interview will follow etc.. i thought they were going to offer me some on the training job. So i did some reading up on TP's and how they work, so now i know they are just a training company with recruitment subsidary.

Telephone interview followed the next day with the conversation leading up to the £2550 for training + £600 or so for examination package. I told the advisor i would have to think about it and he told me he would call me back on my views later after reading up on all the figures. Today he rang back and i told him straight out i couldnt afford the funding and that i was leaning towards the self learning route. He swayed the pros and cons about finding jobs on your own etc. and finally offered me a Train now and no payments option until they found me a job placement. Which is very very tempting as with a job i could pay them back monthly. and i would get so to speak a free training package until i get to work.

Now im at a dilema do i take the offer? has anyone had similar experiences? Any questions i should ask before i go with this? your views will be much appreciated.