yay my new home lab!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by millsie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Its taken 2 years but I have finally got round to getting my own little Cisco lab at home which I can build on to take me to the next level in routing and switching! :biggrin

So nice/weird to be able to plug into my own routers and get going on some basic config without having to worry about breaking anything! hehe!

I have started with:
    3x 2610xm routers
    2x 2950 Switches 1x 24 port and 1 48 port.

Later I'm going to add a terminal server so I can console to them all without having to swap cable all the time and then when I can afford it a layer 3 switch something like a 3550.

Happy days, onwards and upwards with my CCNP guys!

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Congrats, that's awesome! I'm sure the setup is going to prove invaluable while prepping for your CCNP.

If you don't mind me asking, as a rough figure, how much does a setup like this cost?

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  3. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I was pretty happy with the cost, £199 plus postage for the above 3 routers and 2 switches with all power cables and network cables. The routers also have a total of 4x wic cards too! Next day delivery.

The terminal server will probably be the most expensive of the lot when I get it, cheapest ive found on ebay is £90. Then the layer 3 switch probably 60 or 70 pounds. So all in all a decent small lab for no more than £400. :)

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Thanks for the information!

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Cool stuff! I've always wanted a little lab setup but never quite needed it! Cisco would be a good excuse to build one for sure, I may have to move onto that in the future! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012