xp wont run!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timostag, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Please help,

Ive just half build a new pc using-

Asus p5e-vm hdmi
    intel p4 2.8 775 processor
    samsung 2gb 800mhz memory
    my old hard drive- ide 40gb piece of crap

i havent bought a new hard drive yet as i cant afford a new OS and i have a pretty good external 1 for now

Im doing the comptia a+ and have taken apart and rebuild my previous pc before so I was confident i would have no problems, but when i finished putting every thing together and switched on it ran and did post but then asked to run in safe mode/normal etc. i choose last good setting and it began to start xp but then suddenly restarted and does this every time no matter what mode i start xp in.

also it doesnt reconise my keyboard till the mode option comes up so i cant enter the setup or bios

Please help and guessing i will have to format/replace the HDD and get a new OS

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Generally XP, as with other versions of windows, doesn't like being moved to a different motherboard.

*Sometimes* you can do a repair and it will then work. But that requires the original XP CD.

As for the keyboard - are you now using a USB one? If so find a PS/2 one and try that.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Try starting in safe mode and then run chkdsk / r in the command prompt as the next restart would carry out a check disk scan. Allow the check disk to finish running fully and start your computer again.

Lets know how you get on, best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you want to do the job properly then format the drive and start over.

You might get away with a repair install though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Cuhulainn

Cuhulainn New Member

You might try going into Safe Mode, then delete the HDD Controllers, then reboot for Windows to reallocate
    the new IDE/SATA Controllers.
    You could try repair as stated above.
    Or boot from CD choose Command Console, then run FIXMBR, then CHKDSK /r.
    Ultimately you might be forced down the Format & Reinstall route.

WIP: MCDST
  6. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Thanks for all your advice,

i bought a copy of xp pro to reinstall but, i dont know how to install it the pc still just goes to the safe mode option screen and restarts as soon as i select any option and i cant enter bios settings as when that option comes up it says no keyboard detected (ps/2).

Is there a manual way to wipe a hard drive?

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  7. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

I don't think that'd work, you've said you've put a CD in and it still boots to OS, that means your boot order isn't correct and... you'd need to hit a key to initiate the setup, therefore you'd need to access the bios to change it.

You'd need to enable Legacy USB if you've got a USB keyboard to, but you'd need a working PS2 keyboard to even do that (unless they have jumper settings for things like that??).

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  8. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

my keyboard works on the safe mode selection screen it just wont work when the press del for set up comes up?!

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Thats strange, it should work if its a ps2 keyboard. Have you tried resetting the BIOS from the jumper on the mobo to see if resetting to defaults allows you to boot into the BIOS.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house