Problem XP VLKs Still available?

Discussion in 'Software' started by supernova, Dec 18, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone know if Microsoft issues XP VLKs still?

I am trying to tidy up a charities network by moving them over to VLKs, so everything is easier to manage.

Currently the set-up is 2003 server, XP and office 2003 as a standard across the board.

sup

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You may have to buy Vista with download rights and then an Xp disk under the VL.

From memory, when you could do this you phoned to activate and there was a menu option for VLK.

Mind you, I've been out of it for 18 months now ....

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Easiest way to check is to ring Microsoft direct - they fall over themselves to help with this kind of enqueiry as it means more money for them!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. supernova

Because of the work we do, we actually get software through a charity based third-party (who are ms channel partners i guess) where we only pay handling and admin fees, however, they don't seem to understand my query they keep telling me the difference between vista and xp in terms of features.

5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if the Desktop OS works the same as Server OS but we just got 2008 and in my eopen account we have access to Server 2003

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've heard I can get Windows XP through something called "downgrade rights." What are those exactly?

If your business relies on Windows XP, there's still a way to get it. When you buy Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate, you're automatically entitled to return to Windows XP Professional via what we call "downgrade rights."

Downgrade rights do not expire. As more customers make the move to Windows Vista, we want to make sure they’re transitioning smoothly and with confidence. Part of that commitment involves providing downgrade media to OEMs to make the process easier for customers that need to downgrade. Programs like Windows Vista Small Business Assurance ensure our commitment to small business.

If you're interested in learning more about downgrade rights, contact your preferred PC manufacturer.

As per : http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx

You can contact MS direct with licensing queries (regardless of where you get your volume lic from) at [email protected]

All you'll need to do (as I stated before) is order an Xp media kit under your vol lic and ring the activation centre and get your key under vol lic arrangements

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We do our MS agreements with Software assurance on a yearly basis, and we have access to all versions of Windows. We do not order a specific OS version, just Windows Pro. In other words, what UKD said :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. supernova

thanks you two, i'll send them the links.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009