XP stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Oct 1, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have a computer at home thats running XP. I recently decided to reformat it as it was riddled with spyware and other crap. The disc i used was a copy of the original and i also have the genuime key sticker on the back for when i need to verify its xp etc. However im trying to activate this and microsoft wont let me, saying the key is not recognised or that i have made a mistake. Ive triple checked and i know i havent and i also know the computer is genuine as it was bought about 4 years ago from aldi??

I have 30 days to sort this out so how do i go about it??? Is it because ive used a copied disc??? or is it because of something else???

Any help appreciated, thanks

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

You should be able to ring a number to activate it if online doesnt work, I had to do that once just called the number explained what had happened and they gave me a new activation number.

Certifications: A few.
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Yup, Robs rigth, go for phone activation its fairly quick and painless. I've had to do it a couple of times and have discovered as a result the true weirdness of MS call centres, calling during the day rsults in you talking to someone in India, calling after 5 o'clock........ Wales.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've had to call once to get XP activated and, as the others have said, it's fairly painless.

One thing I've noticed when reinstalling XP on a Dell laptop...the key provided on the laptop would not activate a retail copy of the same version of XP. It was only relevant for the OEM version provided by Dell, so I had to use the restore disc that came with the laptop to reinstall XP on the laptop. (I needed to use my retail key for another computer.)