XP repair questions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by datarunner, Sep 3, 2008.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

need some info here

suppose u need to carry out a repair xp install. the customer has their COA but NO cd. so you use your own cd.

which product key do u enter? theirs or yours.

im guessing yours but wot then happens to the customers key

info appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Check the COA sticker on the customer's computer, it should contain an XP key - use this.

Don't use your own XP key - you could get it banned and blacklisted if you're breaking Microsoft's terms and conditions set out in their EULA. If you wish to view the EULA then do a quick search on google for "Windows XP EULA".

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

thanx for the speedy reply

yeah i thought using theirs is the correct way but will your cd support their key?

regards

4. Qs

No problem. As for the support it depends - certain keys are tailored to only work with certain 'revisions' of the XP CD.

For example - I may have a key that I got with my XP Professional SP2 CD.

Said key may not work with your XP Professional (with no service packs) CD.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In addition, on certain machines where "System Locked Preinstallation" (see here) has been used then it is possible that the COA sticker may not contain a valid key. On those machine you are *supposed* to use the restore disk, and use of that disk often bypasses the key request.

It all depends on the make and model you are attempting to repair.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

As an example of this I recently re-formated and installed XP on my own laptop but didn't use the restore disk as it includes too much crap in my opinion, so I grabbed me XP Professionsl CD and installed that. When it asked for the product key I duly inputed the one on the COA sticker (why are they on the bottom of the laptop - makes em difficult to read unless your cleaver enough to write it down first) but it wouldn't accept the key. Tried three times before I looked at the COA a bit closer and realised it was an XP Home COA. Had to borrow my daughters Home CD and re-install, which accepted the laptop COA key without problems and is now nice and speedy (for a laptop).

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

thanx 4 the info guys

so the other persons coa key will work with any cd as long as the versions are the same? wot about if service packs are different?

8. Qs

No worries - we're here to help after all :p

To be absolutely sure check the version and the SP additions. If they're both the same then you should be fine. I've had it in the past (as quoted in my example) where similar versions yet dis-similar service pack additions haven't meshed and therefore didn't work for repair purposes.

9. Qs

Spot on. Give that man a cigar.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Usually, but not always. Some vendors distribute OEM keys that will work only with their install CD. But there's really no way to know for sure until you give it a try. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!