XP remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kurtph, May 9, 2004.

1. Kurtph

Kurtph New Member

As an experiment, I'm trying to remote desktop to my XP installation over the net. Yeah, I know this sounds dodgy as it means opening a hole in my firewall. Still, thought I'd try it. :!:

I've set my router to port forward 3389 to my local ip address, but when I check whether or not the port is open at http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 it says it is STILL closed!

Anyone any ideas? I have disabled software firewall (Kerio) and antivirus software. Would be interested to hear people's experience of XP RD..

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'll follow this with interest, as I'm trying a simple RDP into a local PC on my network, but can I get the thing to work ????

:evil:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What model router are you using? I know that on some DLINK routers you need to create and enable what DLINK call a "virtual server".

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Kurtph

Kurtph New Member

It's a NETGEAR WGR614 v4 firmware. (My ethernet ADSL modem simply plugs into the router.)

I've set up a Port Forwarding Service on 3389 to the IP address of the machine which I want to remote desktop to i.e. the machine hosting the IIS. I have also checked and Port 80 (which Windows help says you also need to open) is open.. and it is.

Intersting one this! Thanks for the help.