XP Remote Assistance help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 2, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

I simply did the RA using my son's pc and I still don't see a "take control" option anywhere as you guys are suggesting? I tried uploading the screenshot but the file is 2.25 and the limit here is 195, I will try to reduce the file if I can.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

could you explain to me exactly what you did?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. mikehende

I am having problems reducing that file, can I send it to anyone' email? Got to run now and will be back in an hour or so and will post the exact steps.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

which file? im going to try get you a guide so you can see the steps...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

upload to imageshack.

and though i don't understand your first post in the slightest, if you want to take control of someone's remote session (or shadow it, lots of fun) you can do that i believe from the terminal services manager. on your server, of course.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Mike,

Just incase you are confusing it with Remote Desktop- it only comes with XP Pro....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. mikehende

Since this site crashed over the weekend, the original thread for this was lost, to refresh, I tried the RA but don't see a "take control" option in the RA interface as some guys had suggested here, please see the attached image which is a screenshot of what I am seeing and yes, I am using XP on both pc's.

Attached Files:

• ra.bmp
      File size:
      97.9 KB
      Views:
  9. mikehende

sorry, I can't get the screenshot to the right size, anyway, there isn't any "take control" option, all I can get is a screen vieW.

10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Sorry if this is going over old ground, can't tell since the original thread is gone.

If "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely" is enabled on the target machine you should see a menu bar along the top of the screen of the machine that will be doing the controlling, the button should be top left on that.

To get to the "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely" option on the target computer, right click on My Computer, properties, Remote Tab, tick the "Allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer", click the advanced button then tick the "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely" box.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. mikehende

Alright Phil, works now, thank you very much!!!