Xp PRO User name & Password

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by deepdale11, Nov 26, 2005.

1. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

Can anybody help???
    My wife was given a Xp PRO computer from work as they had a upgrade to new computers.
    When we type in the user name and password it says it cannot find the demain.
    Is there a way around this???????????????

Cheers

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all im asuming you not connecting this pc to a network at home?

when you put in the username and password there should be a button saying options... click it.. then a box should appear saying log onto domain now from that choice box choose log onto this computer.. then put the user name and password..

once you into the computer.. right click my computer ... properties..computer name.. and where is says Change click that.. now it should say at the bottom of that domain and workgroup select workgroup and click okay... it might ask to restart but thats fine..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What the message means is that the computer cannot see the network.

Usually you can get around this if you have logged onto the computer before when it has been attached to the network, and it will log you on using what is known as a cached profile, however if you havent logged on to this computer before, or the company she works for has disabled the caching of profiles then there is no way around this.

Have you tried just typeing administrator and a blank password, note that when trying this you will need to make sure that you log on locally, i.e. in the box that says log onto specify this computer.

Other than trying that if you don't know a username and password for the local machine and not the domain you will have to take it back and have her IT department set up a local user account for her.

8)

4. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

I do wish to connect to my home network yes,will it not work??

5. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

thanks for your help.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not at present it won't no.

The laptop will have to be removed from it's existing network (your wife's work Domain) before you can add it to your own.

If yo are able to gain access to your laptop as has been previously mentioned then you will be able to do this yourself. However if not then there is nothing that you can do at present, other than wait.

:rolleyes:

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I guess I have to say with a quite large amount of incredulity, XP won't allow you to log into a local computer account once it has been attached to a domain? I find that very strange. I don't have a copy of XP in front of me but this is one of the weirdest things MS has done yet if it's true.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

XP does allow you to log on locally if attached to a domain, you just have to know a local username and password to log on to the XP machine itself. This is something I suspect deepdale11 doesn't at present have.

You can also usually still log on when not attached to the domain if you have a profile that is cached on the PC, but this can be disabled through GPO's when you log off.

I hope that's made it a bit clearer for you Freddy?

8)

9. ffreeloader

Well, that's not what you said before. You said it wasn't presently possible rather than explaining how it is possible. If the poster can log on locally he can use the computer on his home network.

Whether or not the company wants that happen is another idea altogether.

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That is indeed true, and I should have made my post clearer.

What I was thinking of at the time was if he ran a home domain, then it would need to be removed from the work domain and added to the home domain.

Now that I think about it most people don't run domains at home and as freddy says once you gain access locally to the laptop you should be able to add it to your home network.

I really must stop thinking about Domains and remember that this is probably a home peer - to - peer network.

My bad. :oops:

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not true. I regularly log into a local account of machines that are setup for a domain. Sometimes you need to have no network connectivity to disuade the machine from trying to search for the domain.

If the machine has GPOs set then it can be quite difficult to remove those.

IMHO this machine should have been wiped and restored to 'normal' before leaving the company.

Harry.

Edit: H'm - somehow I missed further comments after the post I quoted. :oops:

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

I have managed to get into the computer,just would like to know how to take it of the company demain and put it on my home newwork??

Cheers
    deepdale11

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, here's how to remove it from the companies domain. Note that I'm assuming that you have logged on locally with an account that has administrator level permissions.

1. right click my computer, then properties.
    2. choose the computer name tab.
    3. you can do the next step two ways (I think) either by selecting the Network ID, or Change. ( I Would personally choose change)
    4. Where it says member of change it from a domian to a workgroup.
    5. When it tries removing the computer from the domain it will probably say that it made the changes, but could not contact the domain to remove the computer account. don't worry about this.
    6. Click on the OK's and restart.

Your computer is now no longer a member of the domain!

8)

14. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

No, it lets me log with company demain,dont have admin level?
    any way around this????

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You can't really do much unless you have an administrator level account.

Are you sure that the account that you have logged on with doesn't have admin rights?

Check by:
    Right click my comp, manage, local users and groups, groups, administrators.

If the name that you have used to log on with is in that list then you have admin rights. If it's not and you can't add it in then your stuck for now.

NOTE: if you do have admin rights do not do what I described in my previous post just yet as the account you are currently using will not exist once the PC is removed for the domain.

8)

16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Rebuild? If you dont have admin rights, its either a case of reimaging, or getting the admin level password for the PC from the company. Im actually surprised that the company hasnt reimaged the laptop before handing it off for home use. There could be no end of sensitive information on an inproperly wiped system.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with this.

See if you have the recovery disks for the laptop - that will be the easiest route I would think.

It *is* possible to break into a machine without the passwords, but it isn't easy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. ffreeloader

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Freddie,

Thanks for the link - i have bookmarked it :thumbleft.
    In this case, deepdale wont be able to get the product key but it is a reference for us all, thanks

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I too am surprised that this company has given a computer to one of it's staff without first wiping it. The operating system is also licenced and I doubt they have given you the XP CD and license to go with it.

I would ask their IT guy what the local administrator password is. Then log on locally (not the domain) and remove it from the company's domain. Username = administrator Password = ??????

You will only need to log on locally from then on. Bear in mind that the user profile will be lost. This means any emails, contacts in Outlook will disappear. It is possible to get them back but not easy.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)