XP Pro Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tyler D, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,was in the process of upgrading XP home to XP pro,and for some reason it gets to the same point in the installation,and the computer just hangs.
    Re starting the comp,the installation causes the comp to hang in exactly the same place again.
    Any ideas on this please??? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

are u using legit copies?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Are you upgrading to Pro because of the better facilities or because of isssue's with the current Operating system?
    If there are issues these will simply be carried over :(

To be honest I try and avoid an upgrade where possible- you have much better success with a clean install.

At which part of the loading does it hang?
    Have you tried booting to safe mode?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

ok,they are legit copies im using,there was no probs with the previous operating system all was running fine,so its no probs being carried over.When the comp boots i get the XP screen then it goes straight onto setup to continue from where it crashed.
    Have used F8,to get to safe mode but i just get the error message that set up cant be run safemode.
    It hangs when set up is registering services :rolleyes: with only 14 mins left.Im well puzzled.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Antything in the event log?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

no i cant actually get into windows,it boots,i get the xp screen and goes straight to restarting setup.

7. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

ok,bit of an update on this prob im havin and would be greatful of any feedback :biggrin .Havin not resolved the prob of the comp hanging with the xp pro upgrade and not able to gain access to windows,i decided i would start from a fresh,re partion the HD reformat the HD,and then install the original OEM XP home copy.
    Guess what?? The XP Home copy install hangs at exactly the same place as the XP Pro upgrade did.
    :rolleyes: any idea's guys would be greatfully recieved.
    Thank u in advance :D

Martyn.

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a hardware fault to me. In the past when I have had various incarnations of Windows lock during an install, it's usually been some type of hardware conflict or fault.

It could of course just be an out and out compatibility issue with something you have added to the system in recent times? More Ram, new NIC etc...

I would try stripping out every non-essential card out of the system (assuming you have some in there and it's not all onboard). Also try modifying the BIOS, maybe take it back to a safe default setting. If you have overclocked it in anyway, turn that off, or if you have used aggressive memory timings etc...

If none of the above works, try swapping out the RAM for spare stuff if you are able to do that, or possibly the Video Card (again assuming it's not an on board varient).

Finally, how about flashing the BIOS from DOS, grab the latest one from a different PC.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

ok thanks for the pointers modey,will take a look later and see what i can come up with.
    cheers :biggrin

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have looked at a system for someone today who installed a new PCI Dial up modem in their current OS no problem.
    A week later they re-installed and froze on the splash screen (this computer actually installed successfully but failed to re-start).

When I removed the card the computer booted up perfectly :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Tyler, I recently experienced a similar install problem - would consistently fail at the same point, even on 2 diff HDD's in the same PC. Finally traced it to a RAM conflict (2 sticks in it - removed one).

Might be worth a look ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Ok cheers Gav will have a play around tomorrow and will let you know how i get on. :biggrin

13. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,seems like it was a RAM conflict,had two sticks installed
    so removed one and hey presto,installed no probs.
    Thanks all for your input. :D