XP Pro Network Install via distribution share

Discussion in 'Networks' started by archie, Sep 25, 2008.

1. archie

archie Bit Poster

Hi Folks,

Hoping that someone can help me out with this.

I have an HP desktop running Windows Server 2003. have set up the Active Directory, DNS, DHCP. Domain is good and my other desktop can log onto the domain fine and IP address is allocated.

I have another box (formatted with FAT) and want to install XP via the distribution share. The share has been set up on the Server (C:\I386). I'm booting this box via a network boot disc. Starts up fine but then hangs when trying to acquire an IP address.

This is where I'm now tearing my hair out (not that there is much left!). Any ideas what is going wrong or am I being really thick and missing something really obvious?

All suggestions and answers gratefully received!!

Cheers

Archie

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

from memory you have to set up and authorise a RIS server for a boot disk or pxe card to pick up an IP address in this manner.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't think that is what he's trying to do Dales. The way I read it, he's got the XP Install files shared on the server, and he wants to install from that share across the network and he's using a net boot disk in order to access the share (presumably after using a net use command ).

To the OP :-

I think it's a combination of the boot disk and the NIC inside the PC. I have been using various versions of the Universal TCP/IP boot disk over the last few years and occationaly it doesn't correctly identfy the correct network chipset on the NIC. Even if it does I have had them sit there sometimes and hang on the obtain an IP address part of the boot process.

Sometimes waiting it out will work (can take several minutes). That has worked sometimes on Dell's I have had problems with. If that doesn't work, I'd try a different NIC inside the PC and give that a go.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada