XP Pro Deployment 70-270

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by MrNice, Jan 18, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

If someone has the time to set me off in the right direction I would be most grateful.
    I have various Transcender questions and possible answers use the terminology "reference computer" although my Microsoft book uses the terminology "Test computer" Do you think this is the same thing?
    As an example my book says to use disk duplication you install XP on a test computer and then use Sysprep.exe on that computer to create the image. Transcender says install XP on a reference computer then run Sysprep.exe to create the installation image. If you are using RIS do you create the image on the actual RIS server or still on a test pc? I think you would do everything on a test pc and then send the finalised installation image including any answer files to the RIS server.
    Any help most appreciated, :oops:

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I think you've hit it spot on there, MrNice - from memory, thats how to do it.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Spot on there Mr. Nice, keep going.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the input,
    I still cant seem to grasp it though. A line in my text reads "You create an installation image of XP on a RIS server" I thought you had to create the image on a local/test/reference PC first? Can you actually create the installation image on the RIS server without using a test PC? I am basing a few answers here on the fact you cant or at least would not normally, anyone? :blink

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

As I understand it, you set up your test/reference PC exactly as you want to roll it out. THen, using 3rd party Imaging s/ware, creat your image from that machine. It's the image that you then load onto the RIS server, ready for deployment.

If this needs corrected, please carry on, Guys :oops:

6. AJ

From memory, you need load a test machine with the OS and drivers etc. Run sysprep to get rid of the SID's. You then need to run a "third party application" (Nortons Ghost) to make an image and to copy it to a network share.

I think that's right. :biggrin

7. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I am reading it as,
    If you use disk duplication you need third party software but if you have Active directory services available you can use RIS instead of third party software?
    So RIS and Disk duplication are two different methods of rolling out XP PRO? RIS only being available if you have a Windows server setup already in place ie:Win2000 server.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Damn - forgot about sysprep/SIDs - good spot AJ.

But isn't the key here that you copy it to a folder on the RIS server, rather than a n/w share ?

9. AJ

Still gotta be a shared folder m8