XP Licence key question

Discussion in 'Software' started by slr, Jun 10, 2009.

1. slr

slr Bit Poster

Hey guys! need a little help please. I have been asked to reinstall a copy of XP Pro on someone's computer inside the company, with the machices we have re-install disks that came with systems. So normally I would just put the disk in, install the OS and all is happy no licence key needed as it's a Dell computer and a Dell re-install disk.

Now back to this computer, i looked on the side where the normal COA sticker is and its gone :o spoke with the guys up there and someone 'may have peeled it off'................... i mean cmon :rolleyes:

My questions is, would installing XP on this system still be legal?

From what I was told before Dell validate the install against something on the motherboard to make sure it's all legit, so it wont ask for a licence key. Again some clarifation on this would be great =)

cheers guys!

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: MCSA:2012
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If the PC is a Dell, just use the reinstall disc and stop worrying :p

If not then you'll need to install XP using an XP CD/DVD and will need to provide a valid key to install and activate.

It doesn't really matter if the sticker has become worn/removed if you don't need the key.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. slr

slr Bit Poster

Hey Qs! Damn your always fast at replying! :biggrin

I do get a little worried with cd key's and being legal, lol. Thought it would be better to ask the question first tho just incase, as I wasnt sure where it stood. Last thing I want is Microsoft banging on our door :p

Well thanks for your fast reply!

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Heh :p

Generally reinstall discs aren't ever a problem, they're designed for ease of use and you don't have to mess around with licenses, keys etc.

If you're ever unsure then ring up Microsoft/Dell. They'll be happy to point you in the right direction. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

and at the first opportunity slap the prat who peeled the sticker off.

the instruction is simple 'The only thing you touch on the box under/on your desk is the power button once a day, if you have time to sit and peel the license sticker off then you obviously don't have enough work and are surplus to requirements I'll let your manager know that he can stop paying you'

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. slr

slr Bit Poster

Indeed.... If only. I guess were not allowed to put a current through the box that will shock them if they touch anything other than the power button...:twisted:

The manager was told aswell, problem was this computer was a spare one that everyone had access too so everyone can deny it..

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A bit of anthrax or ricin dusted on the sticker works a treat. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. slr

slr Bit Poster

lol, I will run this past our health and safety guy :biggrin

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Too mild, I tend to use this

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I tend to Use Keyfinder to locate lost Xp keys, which can be obtained from link below, and can be used on unbootable pc's I believe

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Quick description from the site:

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware open source utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install Windows from your registry. It allows you to print or save your keys for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007 family of products. It also has a community-updated configuration file that retrieves product keys for many other applications. Another feature is the ability to retrieve product keys from unbootable Windows installations.

handy little tool ........:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290