Problem XP laptop won't load, reboots repeatedly

Discussion in 'Software' started by Markyboyt, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I'll ask them, have emailed them asking if the drivers disc would load it all or just the drivers ( i know the name seems a dead giveaway lol) then I found the XP disc

WIP: A+
  2. Markyboyt

Just thought I would update this and say thanks to all of you that gave me advice and shared your knowledge on this, the issue is still ongoing as my cousin is going to wait til after the xmas period when cash flow is a bit better then opt for a new hard drive and hopefully all should be well.

Thanks again

3. Markyboyt

Thanks for your reply dude, did you read the rest of the thread?

4. Markyboyt

Well i'm now attempting the fix on this but at present have a hit a brick wall that ive can't get around.
    Basically I brought a new hard drive but it wasnt detected by the laptop in the startup check, my guess is that the hard drive was 160Gb and the BIOS is subject to the 137Gb limit, re-ebay and buy 80Gb drive, now detected.
    I have brought the windows xp disc i refer to earlier in the post and if I put this in while windows is running it autoruns and asks me what i want to do.
    The problem I have is that the laptop won't boot from this disc to allow me to install windows on the new hard drive, a message is shown saying after checking boot Cd saying 'cd-rom/non-emulation booting' and stays at that.
    This is also the case with the old hard drive installed.
    I followed a website that provided a boot file and instructions how to create a boot up disc in nero by adding the files from my xp disc to it. this made no difference.
    I let nero use its default boot file and added the files off the disc, this booted to dos screen and allowed me to access USB drives but navigating to the I386 folder and running winnt just stopped everything dead.

I now have a lead whereby I can connect either the old/new harddrive via USB or connect the disc drive from my desktop to allow 2 disc drives if that was necessary.

I have tried to clone the drive to the new drive using acronis WD edition, this locks up at 33% i suspect due to the bad sectors on the drive. I have also tried this by connecting both the new and old drives to my desktop and using acronis on that to clone but got the same outcome.
    I have tried to back up the system state only then restore the back up to the new drive by booting from acronis boot cd but it wont allow it to run the back up from a cd boot. I figured that might allow me to get into windows on the new drive then run the xp disc within windows, obviously not.
    I have knoppix and a bartPE environment on a cd boot but cant seem to make any progress from them.

I am now short on idea's of how I can get a fresh windows install onto the new drive. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated even if its something daft I could have overlooked.

5. Markyboyt

Ok Tewktech now believe that the disc they supplied might be faulty. In the time of waiting for that I discovered this website http://supportpcs.co.uk/installcd/winxp.html which gives a guide and links to the relevant files to allow you to create your own windows installation disc.

After following this guide and creating the disc the laptop booted from the disc with the options to either enter recovery console, repair the windows installation or install windows.
    I obviously did a clean install as my aim was to get xp onto the new hard drive, all went ok and the laptop now has windows. Needs a few updates and programs loading back on but thats not a problem. Amazed at how quickly it boots into windows when its fresh lol.

Thanks for your assistance all those that helped.

Mark

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Glad you sorted it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?