Problem XP laptop won't load, reboots repeatedly

Discussion in 'Software' started by Markyboyt, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I currently have my cousins laptop looking at because yesterday she had a message come up saying something about spyware and deleting and the laptop shut down, when its booted up it comes up with the black screen saying it hasn't been shut down properly and to select one of the 3 safe mode options, last known good config or start normally, if any of the safe modes or last know config are selected the laptop reboots, if start normally is selected the windows xp screen is shown then it reboots.

My first priority is to recover all of her pictures from the machine as she has pics from when her little girl was born up to current day which is about 6 years i think so a lot of pics.

I have got a BartPE bootable environment on a disc which I have loaded up but when I go into the file management utility it lists the usual my computer and network places.

In my computer there is 2 drives shown. A RAMdisc drive which the properties says is a 31.9MB drive and only has 21KB stored on it and the file system lists FAT, the other drive is C which it scarily lists as having nothing on and no capacity and lists the file type as RAW. To me this sounds like the C drive is unformatted and empty.

Is this game over for retrieving the pics and also for getting the laptop back running?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you get the Windows XP loading screen then it looks like some of the drive is readable.

Perhaps get a drive caddy and attach the drive to your PC, then you can browse the HD and get the pics you need.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Markyboyt

Thanks for the reply sparky,
    Its weird that it doesn't show in the BartPE system though isn't it?
    Is their any other way of getting in on the actual machine? My XP on my PC is only OE so I don't have a disc else I was going to try and create a bootable XP, that said theres no option to boot from USB on the laptop so might not have been able to anyways.

4. Sparky

Perhaps the boot disk isnt picking up the drive correctly and thats why you cant see anything? This seems to be more common on laptops.

You could download a trial version of Acronis and install on your PC. This will give you the option of creating a rescue boot CD which has a bunch of drivers for a range of hardware. It even works on servers with very old RAID cards.

Anyways if you do that you can then browse the C: drive after booting from the CD and make a backup of the pictures etc. that you need to a USB drive or a network share. You should then be able to browse the backup file from your PC and restore the files you need.

HTH mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Markyboyt

Ill give that a go sparky, thanks.

Just to add to the mix, I have just opened the command prompt and it focuses on the X drive as thats where the BartPE is running from but if i type in C: it says The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

6. Sparky

Not good but if you get boot options (e.g start in safe mode) then it is reading the disk to some extent.

Best of luck with Acronis, the rescue boot disk should be worth a shot.

7. Markyboyt

Is it the true image software i'm after?

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i would caddy it and see what you can see from there. If nothing then get data recovery utility and scan it. I've used to getdataback and it worked a treat.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Sparky

Yup 8)

10. Sparky

Yeah, I suggested that but worth using the rescue disk at this time of night. :biggrin

11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Have you tried booting from a knoppix disc, and browsing the drive that way? Always worth a try.

Certifications: HND Computing
  12. Markyboyt

I'll try them both lol, at present I am running chkdsk which BartPE included, it seems to be finding files, hopefully this won't make things worse. But I am downloading acronis and looking into knoppix at the minute as well.

13. danielno8

just though i'd add another vote for it :)

14. Markyboyt

Update.

The CHKDSK in BartPE keeps causing a BSOD at 52% of stage 4 of 5,
    I have run the Knoppix disc and seemed to be able to access the folders and it appears also the pics, I am just installing Acronis now to see what the disc for that gives me, should go bed really but am a bit obsessive when something isn't fixed yet lol

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If that doesn't work, whip the drive out and do what Daniel suggests, ie stick it in a USB caddy.. i did exactly that a couple of hours ago to retrieve data off one of my own boxes when the hard drive spat the dummy.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Markyboyt

Well acronis only seemed to be able to make a back up or restore one.
    I'm going to buy a USB hard drive tonight to back the data up onto, but as regards connecting her hard drive to my pc, do I Have to have a dock or can I just buy a cable and connect it to my motherboard? Her hard drive is an EIDE according to western digital whereas most docks seem to be sata. Maplin do an IDE to laptop IDE cable for connecting laptop drives to a pc, would this be ok?

17. danielno8

yep get the PC IDE to Laptop IDE.

good luck

18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  19. Markyboyt

20. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Few things to try,

A) Repair install
    B) Shrink the Partiton (should be something on the hiren boot cd to do this) then load XP onto the other part and boot into that
    C) Boot to recovery console, do a cacls "c:\system volume information" /E /G yourusername:F then
    cd into a system restore snapshot R1,R2,R3 etc and rename the, SAM, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM, SECURITY, DEFAULT files to what i have just written and copy those 5 files into c:|windows\system32\config

copy xxxx c:\windows\system32\config\software

etc..

This will restore the system restore reg settings into the system

It's probably not a registry problem but a last resort.

It's more likely a driver problem.

I would go for puppy linux and try and delete the graphics driver manually from there.

Certifications: A+