XP Home --> XP Pro, error message

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by beaumontdvd, Jul 24, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, just thought I would upgrade my pc to xp pro to practice for a few more exams. Basically the error I get from running setup through desktop is "setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD" Which is incorrect because I ran winver.exe and it states I am running windows xp home.

I have used three differnt xp pro cds and one iso image so it is definatly not the cd. I just cant think of how to fix it?

The error appears after clicking install windows xp

Hope someone can help,

thanks,

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

What version is slip streamed into the CD? It might be that your using sp2 source to try and upgrade a sp3 install. I have never come across this, but it sounds plausible.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. beaumontdvd

Its the complete basic version so it will be sp2? As thats what I am studying for at the moment. It seems odd to me but I also have a problem with IE when It opens its acting like theres no internet connection so i downloaded firefox. Ive disabled all add ons and ran a full scan on spybot,avg,windows defender. Removed a few infections but still no internet explorer. Also downloaded it and installed which replaced the old one but still not working.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds about right.

Unless you can find an SP2/3 disk, you might need to do a clean install.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Download sp3 and create an xp pro sp3 cd by slipstream, than try upgrade, or if possible you may be able to uninstall sp3 from your current install through add/remove programs and then try upgrade.

First you need to find out what service pack is installed on your current setup.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  6. beaumontdvd

I thought deleting it in add/remove programs may be easier, but just has service pack 3 and no remove button next to it? Or will it be the 25 separate updates above it for example kb980195 ect? would i need to remove them separatly?

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't think you can remove a service pack mate. :(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

9. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate ill give it a go, yeah you can remove it I read it in the revision book this morning 8) lol

10. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Try method 2 in the link I posted if there is no remove options. Just tested on my work laptop, no remove option, but using method 2 in link started sp3 remove wizard.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have the original XP home CD\DVD that came with your PC? Might be worth starting over with that and then run the upgrade to Pro.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate will give it a go now, Sparky what do you mean about using the home cd? I do have that to hand if that helps could you explain? I need to to a straight upgrade as I have a lot of files that would take a while to backup.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  13. Sparky

Just thought the original disk may have no service packs on it so you would be able to upgrade from a clean build of XP home.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  14. beaumontdvd

Yeah sounds like a good idea mate, but you can't downgrade by installing the o/s without doing a fresh install can you?

15. Sparky

No you would be starting over. Can be hassle if you loads of apps installed etc.

16. beaumontdvd

Yeah would be hassle mate as I have everything in the right place, I could do a fresh install through inserting the xp cd through the desktop OS but just cant upgrade so it would be easier to do that if I was going to do a fresh install. Thanks for the help though mate just going to find that hidden pack uninstall shortcut let you know how it goes.

17. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have had the same problem in the past i just did a clean install.

You could have set up a dual boot system, then done all your practice work on a seperate partition protecting your live OS.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  18. Sparky

Good point mate.

19. beaumontdvd

Dc promo it worked fine mate thanks, anyone else having the same problem run method 2 of the link given above and remove service pack 3 disable automatic download updates for the time being and run xppro install again and it works fine as the upgrade option. For some reason service pack 3 on xp home cannot be upgraded to xp pro service pack 2. Thanks for all the help everyone!

20. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Nice one, Just out of interest m8, why dont you set up XP pro on virtual PC, would be a better enviroment to test in.