Xp home Dual Core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 2, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, right im going to look stupid here, but really want to know the answer as Im reading the 270 book and I seem to have experienced the opposite to what its saying. So here goes:

It says Xp home only supports one processor. But I have xp home upstairs on a 3.4ghz dual core computer 2gb
    and it runs as if its using two processors. Will it be using one or two? Should I use XP Pro to make use of the second processor?

Also it says it doesnt include remote desktop? But I swear I've used it to control one of my xp pro pcs. Or would remote desktop be an added extra from the service pack?

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure this was in the 271 as well but have a read over this and you should find the answer on your own, the second part mean you cannot control a XP Home machine via RDP but the remote desktop CLIENT should be in there, sure thats in 271 aswell

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...one physical processor, regardless of number of cores.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Exactly.

And if you look in your Device Manager, expand the "Computer" icon, you should see something similar to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" meaning that the OS has detected the multiple cores and uses them within the single CPU.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Thanks, but what If I see that and I see two 3.4ghz processors?

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

well, it picked up both cores separately, shouldn't be an issue. Some CPU's are picked up as "mutiprocessor PC's" and some are picked up as separate cores...

I think you'll be just fine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

a dual core or core 2 duo cpu isn't 2 processors it is one processor with two physical core.

So a 3.4GHz cpu isn't a 6.8GHz cpu it's a 3.4GHz cpu but both cores can run at 3.4GHz.

Look in Task manager you will see it split into two that is just how windows interperates it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?