XP home cd bust!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rafek, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, my mates windows Xp home cd has been rendered useless as it's seemed to warp and discoloured. I not sure how me managed it but my question is this...

Can I reinstall XP on his system using my copy and then activate it with his activation code?

Both copies are genuine I just wondering if the Cd is locked to the specific activation code?

thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the CD a Windows XP home CD or is it a manufacturers restore CD?

Sometimes the CD will not accept the product ID on the side of the desktop unit however sometimes it will.

I used a Dell Windows XP home CD with a different PC (the CD was lost) and it accepted the product ID.

Worth a shot! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

theoretically if the disks are the same i.e. both xp home sp2 and not manufacturers image disks any disk should work with any key

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

thanks for the replys.

Yes both cd's are XP home install disks. I'll take the chance and give it a try.

Thanks

5. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Yes if both cd's are valid and the codes are pukka-gen then it matters not what code you put in.
    All the CD will worry about is if the code is valid or not (windows updates check to see if its genuine or a crack).

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its worth pointing out that the CDs need to be of the same type. For instance, if his is an OEM code, then its unlikely to work if you try to install through a Full Product disc, since these use different algorythyms.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Good point (forgot to mention that :) ) and can cause a lot of headache if you dont know which type you have

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

:ohmy thats good to know, thanks fergal, I do have both a full product and 2 oem copies so I guess i'll have to find out what he had.

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Rafek,

Just call him over the phone and ask him to read the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on his computer. It should say what type.

Source:
    1. How To Tell - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

thanks R.H Lee:thumbleft