XP/2K registry

Discussion in 'A+' started by steveh2001, Aug 27, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys,

Just realised something - somehow i seem to have missed learning about the names of the windows NT based OS's and their registry! I know 9X based has system.dat and user.dat, ME introduced classes.dat and 3.1 is all in the .ini files. But i must have missed out XP and 2k and i guess nt4 along the line :blink :D

Now are these the files within c:\windows\system32\config? Sam security system etc? (no file extensions) and do we need to know them? Ive used the MM all in one, but am going over it again now

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

MM doesn't name them, so it might be that you don't need to know the names!

But yes - HKLM in the registry is loaded from the config directory you mention - although some of the files there have other purposes. The HKU section is loaded from a couple of files in the user areas called Ntuser.dat and UsrClass.dat.

Edit: The above is true of XP, and I believe Win2k as well. I don't have access to a NT4 box at the moment to see what the layout is there.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks harry!

Ill assume that their out of the scope of A+ then, but thanks for info, i have a bit of knowledge of them just in case :D

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Excellent!

Thanks bluerinse - ill print that of and give it a read:D