1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XFCE distro recommendations?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by delorean, Mar 10, 2010.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Greetings,

I've tried a few XFCE distro's but cannot really seem to settle on one particular one. I tried Xubuntu which just seemed to crap out all too often for my liking. I also tried Mint 8 and installed the XFCE desktop package myself. Not really a goer for me. Plus U/Xbuntu and Mint seem a bit too 'bloaty' for my liking on my Acer Aspire One netbook.

I tried Kuki too but that turned out to be absolutely rubbish because once installed it has no idea where any of your directories are.

I turned to an Openbox based distro and found Crunchbang, which I like, but can't be bothered with all the CLI it demands the user to use in order to get things working just right. Plus it uses 8.* of 'buntu and I'd rather use a distro with the latest version.

I actually loved Puppy Linux, except it hates the Midori browser plus I don't like the *.pet packages as I prefer *.deb due to the ease of install and it's almost 'industry standard' status it commands.

I tried Arch, my netbook basically won't boot in to Arch live at all let alone install it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good XFCE & Debian based distro? I confess I LOVE the speed of Puppy but I can't settle on it due to the aforementioned reasons. Plus I hate the Seamonkey browser and installing Firefox let alone Midori on it would command the patience of a very patient thing being patient.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Oh and I forgot to add, I hate anything KDE almost as much as I hate Real Madrid. So Fedora and anything KDE based is out the window!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Do you Gnome?:D

Not sure what to suggest. I'd have gone with Mint on a bigger system and crunchbang on a smaller one

What do you use your netbook for? Moblin appeal to you?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417